Students should consider out-of-state colleges

UCA
College students gather in a circle on their university’s campus. Used with permission/Flickr/University of Central Arkansas.

According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, 73% of college-bound high school students in Ohio stay in-state for college. During May in the HHS Media Center, the map of college-bound seniors makes 73% an understatement.

But why is this? Why are so many Hudson students interested in staying in Ohio? Would students rather remain close to family? Are they trying to save money with reduced in-state tuition? Or are out-of-state schools just unappealing and intimidating? Choosing the right school may be difficult, but students should consider a new adventure and apply to schools outside Ohio. Here are some reasons students shouldn’t scratch out-of-state colleges off their list. 

One thing Ohio residents love to hate is the inclement weather. The state has the worst of both worlds: freezing winters and sweltering summers. So why not take the opportunity to escape to somewhere more hospitable? 

Surrounding states like Michigan or Indiana wouldn’t be much different, but somewhere farther like California, Florida or Hawaii have entirely different climates. The top seven colleges with the “best weather” are from these three states, and it’s simple to guess why. These states are warm year-round, with winters that resemble Ohio’s more tolerable summer days. The states may be known for their extreme summers, but residents can cool off in the easily accessible waters. Ohio does have a large body of water, but Lake Erie is far less appealing than the clear shores of the coastal states. Even if the Great Lake was as perfect as Coronado Beach or Siesta Key Beach, Ohio’s climate is too unreliable to swim in any time besides the summer.

Limiting where you attend college also limits the number of schools to choose from. Not including community colleges, there are around 70 undergraduate schools in Ohio. This may seem like a lot, but compared to the nearly 6,000 colleges in the United States, it barely scratches the surface of university options. There is nothing wrong with the colleges close to Hudson, but it’s more likely that a student’s “perfect fit” is farther away. 

For example, suppose you’re interested in Kent State University. If so, there are schools such as the University of Memphis (TN), West Virginia University (WV) and Rowan University (NJ) that are out-of-state but still very similar to Kent State. These public schools have almost identical statistics to KSU regarding acceptance rates and student enrollment. While Kent State could be more desirable because of proximity, similar universities may have something more tailored toward a student’s interests. If a student confines their college search to the 70 in-state schools, they’ll miss exclusive opportunities an out-of-state university can provide.

When Hudson upperclassmen were surveyed, 86.9% of students reported that half or more of their peers plan to attend college in-state. With this large percentage of students looking at the same, limited college pool, many students will likely go to the same college. This could be unproblematic to some, but it’s more difficult to branch out if the same person who watched you go through puberty is watching you rediscover yourself as a young adult. It’s often better to have a fresh start and the chance to meet new friends from high schools different than Hudson. Students can learn more by meeting people with varying life experiences, diverse backgrounds and new perspectives than someone they’ve known since birth.

These college logos represent the most “well-known” colleges in the area where the logo is placed. Most of these institutions are the top public universities in their state. (Santa Monica College)

But, students may be afraid of that fresh start and having to develop every connection all over again. As a result, many students restrain from applying to out-of-state colleges because they’d feel too far away from family. It’s understandable to want to be close to the people you’ve always known, but you won’t live at or near home forever. Luckily, you should always be able to come home for the holidays and see them for an extended time over the summer. Although it may not feel the same as being there with them, your family should only be a phone call away, and your new university family even closer.

Some students explained their college location decisions in the same HHS college survey. One student shares, “The idea of going out-of-state is awesome because you can live anywhere you want, but personally, I think that being closer to home is better for me because I don’t have to wait for a break in the school year to visit family and friends.” A different California-bound student shares, “I’m not a big fan of the weather in Ohio, and there isn’t much to do. Also, my intended career choice lends itself to a larger city where there are more opportunities.” Both students have fair reasons to choose their ideal college location by their preferences. Other students from varying paths justify their decision by referencing geography, financial stability, placement programs and highly-ranked sports teams. 

All things considered, where you choose to go after high school is a decision only you can make. Students may have different levels of comfort with moving away from the family they’ve grown up with, and going somewhere just an hour away may already be a big step for some. But if you’re willing to be more adventurous, take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to explore the world beyond Ohio before you plant your roots. No matter what, remember that the perfect college fit may not necessarily be in your backyard.

$100
$500