The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Bends: The greatest Radiohead album yet

Flickr
The cover to Radiohead’s second album, The Bends.

Over the years, Radiohead has released numerous albums, such as Ok Computer, In Rainbows and Pablo Honey. Although these albums contain numerous hits like Creep and No Surprises, nothing compares to The Bends. Ranging from sad and slow songs to angry songs with distinctive bass lines, The Bends is by far the greatest Radiohead album. 

• Planet Telex 6/10

The opening track contains a U2-sounding piano and guitar part at the beginning but can be quickly recognized as Radiohead once you hear Thom Yorke’s distinct vocals. 

• The Bends 7/10

The song contains a memorable guitar riff to start off that leads into a quieter sound. Eventually, the heavy guitar comes back and ties the whole song together, creating an epic title track.

• High and Dry 8/10

High and Dry brings back a lot of childhood memories as the guitar riff and drums at the beginning are very recognizable. The song is one of the slower tracks on the album and is also one of the most popular.

• Fake Plastic Trees 8/10

Another one of the most popular songs on the album, Fake Plastic Trees is about looking for something real in a materialistic world. The ending really helps prove that this is one of the best tracks on the album.

• Bones 5/10

After the slower sounds of High and Dry and Fake Plastic Trees, you are met with the heavy bass-lined track about aging. From Thom Yorke’s vocals to Colin Greenwood’s bass, the song provides the listener with a louder experience than the songs before.

• [Nice Dream] 4/10

Just like Bones, [Nice Dream] is a filler song. The track is my least favorite on the album due to its repetition of the line, “Nice dream,” although it has an interesting guitar solo.

• Just 10/10

Following the poor quality of the song [Nice Dream] is my favorite Radiohead song of all time. From the amazing chorus to the iconic guitar solo and vocals at the end, Just is the best song on the album.

• My Iron Lung 7/10

My Iron Lung is a very recognizable track due to the guitar riff. The guitar in this song is a phenomenal performance from Johnny Greenwood and should be listened to by everyone. 

• Bullet Proof… I Wish I Was 6/10

This calmer song gives the vibe of an MTV Unplugged performance and is one of the better softer songs on the album.

• Black Star 7/10

Another chill song on the album, the song has a catchy chorus and a good bass line.

• Sulk 6/10

The second to last song on the album contains a great guitar solo and an amazing vocal performance from Thom Yorke. Although the song does not stick out to me too much, it is still a good track to listen to.

• Street Spirit (Fade Out) 9/10

Another one of my favorite Radiohead songs, and the last track of the album, Street Spirit (Fade Out) is a sad and slow song with a great vocal performance. The song has the album ends on a high note with its guitar riff and vocals.

Overall, this album has a lot of great tracks and is one of the best albums from Radiohead. Although not every song was particularly special or stood out, some of the best songs from the band are featured on The Bends. This album is perfect for anyone into alternative rock or anyone looking for good new music to listen to. If you only choose to listen to a few, I would recommend tracks The Bends, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Black Star and Street Spirit (Fade Out). The overall rating of The Bends is 8/10.

$100
$500