Fall JEA Convention takes place in Boston

Students at News Center 5 learned more about broadcasting and the behind the scenes of the station as their Thursday media session. Students were able to say “Good Morning” to the cameras and were featured on their morning news the next day.
Stefanie Crecelius

Every year, Yearbook, Journalism and other media high school students from all over the country attend the JEA Journalism Convention. This year, the convention took place in Boston from November 2 to November 5. Hudson students arrived in Boston the day before the convention officially began. 

The day started early at 3:40 a.m. Wednesday morning. The bus would be leaving the high school at approximately 3:45 a.m. in order to arrive at the airport on time for the early flight. Unexpectedly, everyone woke to a snowstorm that morning, which caused students to take longer than normal to drive to the school. After all the students finally arrived, the bus left 10 minutes later than planned. 

The flight was supposed to leave at 6:30 a.m., but because of the snow and ice stuck to the plane’s wings, the plane took off two hours later at 8:30 a.m. This delay messed up the rest of the group’s plans by rushing students more than normal. 

Once in Boston, the group went on a Duck Boat tour in a vehicle that runs on land and water. The tour went all around Boston while sharing the city’s history. Each student and teacher was able to drive the boat and take a picture doing so during the tour.

At 5 p.m. that night, the students left for Salem. The trip there required a cramped subway ride and ended with an hour-long train ride. The train ride was supposed to take only 30 minutes but instead ended up taking over an hour because of railroad difficulties. 

In Salem, students went on a haunted history tour. It was a two-hour walking tour around the city. The tour guide took them to all of the haunted locations around Salem, including the Witch House and the oldest haunted hotel in Salem. The tour featured many ghost stories that locals have picture proof of and many have their own haunted stories to tell. 

After the tour, students had time to explore the town and get dinner. 

The ride home was the same route, but this time, thankfully, it was a lot shorter. 

The Sheraton Hotel was where the group was staying, and this was the first time the students got to relax and wind down. It was the earliest of all nights on the trip because the next day would be long. 

Students experience the city of Boston by water and land while on the Boston Duck Boat Tour. (Stefanie Crecelius)

Thursday, November 2, was when students had a workshop they were to attend. There was a Social Media Bootcamp, Leadership Workshop, Writers Workshop, Broadcast Video Workshop, SNO Workshop, tour of the News Channel 5 building and Digital Photo Workshop.

Each student picked which session they were most interested in and wanted to attend ahead of time. Some workshops were more helpful to students than others, and some workshops were also longer than others.

Junior Brooke Harvey shared that the program she attended was very beneficial. “I wrote about five pages of notes about broadcast journalism which I can now use.” 

During the day at the hotel, there was a trade show. Students were able to walk around, collect free things, speak with different colleges and enjoy the ambiance.

That night, students had the choice of going to a Boston Bruins hockey game or visiting Quincy Market, which is a historical building located in downtown Boston with many featured vendors. 

The market includes vendors that sell local artwork, clothing, jewelry and most other things you can think of, along with lots of delicious food the students could try. 

Everyone had the chance to break off into small groups and explore the market. Some groups decided food first was the way to go, while others shopped around for a while. 

Students purchased sweatshirts and other merchandise to remember their time in Boston. Everyone bought dinner ranging from unique Korean hot dogs to expensive $30 lobster rolls. Most students ended the night with a sweet treat of ice cream in a waffle cone bowl.

It was a late, cold night, students were tired and ready to return to the hotel. A quick subway ride later, and everyone was back at the hotel. 

Students got to enjoy a midnight curfew, but most were exhausted and headed to bed. The next day would also be long, and students would need to be well-rested. 

Friday, November 3, began bright and early at 8 a.m. when students were attending their first of five convention sessions of the day. 

Students were able to attend sessions on many journalism-related subjects, including photo, broadcasting, newspaper and yearbook.

Senior Kai Kurokawa explains, “My favorite part about Boston was the conference itself. I made lots of connections and learned many valuable lessons from other journalists.” The sessions were taught by professionals in their field which gave the students insightful information that can be applied to their media classes.

Some students attended what was called “Break with a Pro.” Students were able to meet with a professional and have their newspaper or yearbook reviewed. They gave helpful information on what they’re doing right and what still needs some improvement. 

After the end of the convention sessions, students headed back to their hotel rooms to prepare for dinner. 

The group headed to Little Italy by subway to have dinner and shop around. Groups split off and headed to different spots to explore.

Most students at one point or another stopped at Mike’s Bakery to get freshly made cannolis and treats. This cash-only bakery features some of the best desserts Little Italy has to offer. The bakery welcomes customers with a sweet-smelling aroma and a case full of delicious treats.  

Groups ate dinner at different restaurants of varying price ranges. 

Students marveled at ghost stories and dramatic actors during their Ghosts and Graveyards tour. (Stefanie Crecelius)

With full stomachs, students headed to the start of a haunted night tour.

This tour took students around Boston to different graveyards where they were able to get out, walk around and learn more about the history of the people buried there.

The tour guides dressed up, which added to the mysterious ambiance. Ghost stories were told in hilarious ways, and unique history was taught.

Students, now exhausted, headed back to the hotel for the night. The next morning would be early. 

Saturday, November 4, was when students left for the airport bright and early. Originally, the plan was to attend two sessions in the morning, but this had to be changed since students needed to take a bus to the airport which would take longer than expected. 

The plane ride home was quick and easy for students, and they could head home as soon as the bus arrived at the high school. 

Harvey shared her favorite part of the whole trip was, “Meeting new people within the group we went with and people at the conference.” Students made new friends and memories that will last a lifetime from this trip. 

$200
$500