The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Car: An Incredible release for the Arctic Monkeys

The+Arctic+Monkeys+performing+at+Roskilde+festival+in+2014.+The+band+has+had+continuous+successful+performances+in+the+several+years+of+their+fame.+
Wikimedia
The Arctic Monkeys performing at Roskilde festival in 2014. The band has had continuous successful performances in the several years of their fame.

Arctic Monkeys, known for their releases in the early 2000s, have returned to release another hit! The well-known band released its seventh album on Oct. 21, 2022, known as, “The Car”. This album consists of 10 songs and has a run time of 37 minutes. This release exerts a retro feel and does not disappoint fans of the band.

The English band got its start in 2002, and was established by friends, Alex Turner, Matt Helders, and Andy Nicholson. Soon to follow, Andy Nicholson left the group in 2006. Due to Nicholson’s leave, Jamie Cook and Nick O’Malley joined the band. Arctic Monkeys’ first major recognition was their hit single, “I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor”, released on Oct. 17, 2005,  had quickly climbed its way up to number one on the UK Singles Chart. After this sudden fame, the four members continued to release indie/alternative rock and pop albums that would become number one on charts worldwide. 

“The Car” is on the shorter side of the band’s releases, in comparison to the album “Am”, which consists of 12 songs. “The Car” follows the same light-rock feel that the majority of their other albums are centered around. The length of the songs vary from two to four minutes. The track order of the album consists of: “There’d Better Be a Mirrorball.” “I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am.” “Sculptures of Anything Goes.” “Jet Skis on the Moat.” “Body Paint.” “The Car.” “Big Ideas.” “Hello You.” “Mr Schwartz.” and lastly, “Perfect Sense.” The album is produced along a 70s’ type inspiration and is said to have slight comparisons to a few of David Bowie’s albums, while still incorporating the distinctive Arctic Monkeys flair to it. 

The album incorporates significant but also minor details relating to a car, which seems almost like a getaway car, as depicted in the cover art. The cover art appears to be taken at such an angle of a surveillance camera, which is why the car gives off that distinctive getaway car vibe. The car has the crucial role of representing movement and always being in motion, which is well-portrayed throughout the songs. For instance it is displayed through the movement of a jet ski in the song, “Jet Skis on the Moat.” The album also gives off the same impression of previous albums, the near youthful feel of life experiences. For example, previous albums ponder upon dancefloors and late nights, while this current album depicts the same vibe through small attributes like the importance of a mirrorball, in the song, “There’d Better Be a Mirrorball.” The album also touches upon relationships, which appears to be a recurring theme throughout all of the band’s albums. Additionally to the relationship recurrence, the element of longing seems to be prominent across this album. 

“Body paint”, a song that is heavily instrumentally focused. From a slower start with a slow drumbeat into a segment of violin and catchy lyrics, which almost seem to have hints of Queen inspiration. The change of pace spread throughout the song makes it extremely more compelling to listen to. The indie-rock song follows the mentioned themes of relationships and the sense of longing. This song was released, as a single, a month prior to the complete album release, and was instantly one of the most favorable songs on the album for many due to the dramatic depth and change throughout the song! Another incredible hit on the album is, “There’d Better be a Mirrorball”. This song was also released as a single alongside “Body paint”. The slower song seems to follow the end of a relationship. Incorporating the well-used cries of heartbreak. It definitely shines light on more of a 60s, retro feel. The lyrics have comparisons to previous albums of the band. The instruments behind the song appear to be mostly piano and a soft drumbeat, which differs from their typical heavy reliance on guitar. Overall, it is one of the more outstanding and emotionally driven songs on the album.

Despite the two amazing songs mentioned, the album is full of flawless tracks. The notably unique beats behind all the songs give them that enjoyable listen. The song, “The Car” has a dramatic acoustic guitar opening that sets the song up incredibly! “Sculptures Of Anything’s Goes” has a darker feel to it and exerts a slight resemblance to one of the bands previous songs, “Do I Wanna Know”, which became a world-wide hit with hundreds of millions streams on Spotify. The combination of songs on this album makes up a perfect balance.

This well crafted album has struck fans as a must listen! With “There’d Better be a Mirrorball” reaching over 12 million streams on Spotify in the span of its few weeks of release. Other songs like “Body Paint” and “I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am”, are climbing their way up in the millions as well.

“The Car” is an outstanding release and really defines the unique variety that the band has! I highly recommend this album, especially if you are a fan of artists like Queen and David Bowie. This album is a great addition to the several amazing releases of the indefinitely talented band! 

$200
$500