Hopscotch Mafia is playing to win

Hopscotch Mafia poses for a picture post-game. The Mafia won 10-2 in a heated game against Field-Porter. Used with permission/Hopscotch Mafia.

NC Soccer Club is Hudson’s only indoor soccer facility, making it a mecca for soccer players in the wintertime.

The Indoor High School Boys Division 2 League features 11 teams from the Hudson area who will play to become coveted champions of NC Soccer Club. There is one stand-out team that is returning from last year: Hopscotch Mafia. Last year, they were league champions. This year, they are back to continue dominating the league.

Though their history is short, each player and coach brings extreme passion to the team.

Defender Ben Kinast said that playing for Hopscotch Mafia means, “leaving everything on the field every week.” Center-back Aidan Lawrence shared, “It means a lot. The Mafia is definitely one of my favorite parts of the year and I look forward to each and every game.”

Adam Dzierwa, Hopscotch Mafia’s coach, said, “I am so incredibly grateful for the opportunity and the success that comes with coaching these young chaps. Coaching the Hopscotch Mafia involves teaching fundamental soccer skills, organizing practices and games and fostering a positive team environment.”

Last season, the team tied BAWLS C.F. in the first game, followed by a loss to C.B. United in the last five seconds of the next game. Lawrence recalled, “I think everyone was disappointed. We had just come off a long break. Everyone was tired, but there was no excuse for bad performance.”

“To improve for the next season, we need to focus on player development, teamwork and strategies,” Dzierwa shared. “It is best to provide constructive feedback, and set achievable goals for the team.”

To improve, there will be some changes made to the team. Lawrence will act as a coach during the first session, a role for which he seemed excited. “Overall, the coaching was alright. Adam Dzierwa was our coach, but an intern filled in for most of the year. For the start of this session, I will be coaching and not playing, so I hope to help put our team in positions to succeed.”

From a fan’s perspective, the game is different. Dzeriwa said, “The schedule for games and practices would typically be determined by the league or organization overseeing the team. We usually play on Mondays and Sundays during prime time.”

Last season, the viewer turnout was lower than in the past. Kinast wasn’t happy but had a glimmer of hope, saying, “Over the last season, I felt we lacked a strong fan atmosphere. This is something we will work on. In the future, I hope our fan atmosphere will be very loud and very passionate.”

One game, in particular, will be very electric for the fans: The rematch between BAWLS C.F. and Hopscotch Mafia, both Hudson-based teams.

Dzerwia shares his thoughts on the rivalry. “The rivalry between CB United and BAWLS C.F. would depend on the history and dynamics of the league. It’s similar to Real Madrid vs Barcelona. The stands are filled with excitement and nerves. Some call it the greatest game at NC each year. Rivalries can add excitement to matches and motivate players to perform their best.”

The boys are enthusiastic about the upcoming season and hope to create lasting memories with this team. Of the time the team has played together, Kinast’s favorite memory is, “When Luca was on the benches blaring music.” The Mafia has a tradition of playing a certain song after Kinast scores a goal.

The team hopes to remain in the NC Soccer Club High School Boys (2005-09) Division 2 league. They could be the first team to have a back-to-back league championship season. They have already started this conquest with a 3-2 win against Team of Soccer.

Dzierwa said “For other teams in the league, it’s important to encourage sportsmanship, respect and fair play. Good luck to all the teams and may the best team win!”

$150
$500