The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

What Hudson Athletes do during their off-season

Junior Softball Catcher Corinne Stearns takes off her gear after their Wadsworth game on April 22nd, 2023. This will be her third year playing softball at Hudson High School. Used with permission/Corinne Stearns.

With sports being a major part of Hudson High School’s culture, team after team seems to do well during the season. But what do the team members do during their off-season to stay in shape for the next year?

Although most people want a break after the relentless rigor of a sports season, it may not be the best choice for a competitive athlete. Athletes should start their off-season training as soon as their sport ends because they’ve already built themselves an incredible foundation. When you procrastinate, it not only takes away from training time but also makes it harder to start when you eventually do. A clean transition to your off-season not only sets you up for success but also displays initiative to your coaches.

After hearing from multiple athletes, many shared they played for club teams during their off-season.

For example, Sophomore Kelsie Moore plays for Maxim lacrosse to prepare her for the spring, Junior Corinne Stearns plays club softball with Ohio Lightening and Sophomores Morgan McStay and Chloe Messner play Llamas lacrosse over the summer.

All of the above voiced that it had left a positive impact on their athletic ability and their social life; creating core memories and opening up more opportunities for them.

Although club sports are beneficial for many athletes, some don’t have the time or the money to pay the required costs to play, which is completely alright. There are still so many other things athletes can do to help when not playing for the school team.

Starting off smaller, clinics are another way to occasionally keep skills sharp and interact with other athletes who may not go to your school. Clinics are a small commitment and are typically local. They introduce you to players you’ve never met and coaches as well, allowing you to get better at the game.

Junior Hannah Clarke stated, “To catch up on my goalie skills, I go to a Burning River lacrosse goalie clinic during the winter. I meet a lot of new people and practice with some really talented athletes.”

Clarke isn’t the only Hudson athlete who utilizes local clinics. “I also go to a Burning River lacrosse clinic over the winter; it really engages me,” added Sophomore Chloe Messner.

Taking a step below clinics and club teams, there are many options within Hudson. Athletes can practice with each other on Memorial or Lavelli Field.

“Softball holds open-fields over the school year, and I can definitely tell it helps when we try out in the spring,” added Sophomore Fiona Dudley. According to OSHAA, high school sports can’t legally hold practices when their season is over, but they can still hold open practices; which are very laid back and beneficial to participate in. Especially for new team members, they can meet new people, get comfortable with the team and work on their skills specific to their sport.

There is also a weight room to take advantage of. The lacrosse team does weightlifting over the winter, which not only helps the members improve their strength but also brings the team closer together and builds confidence. 

Besides sharpening your skills, there are multiple ways to stay fit when you’re not engaging in an activity. For example, Hudson Springs Park, Orange Theory, CycleBar and local gyms are all very accessible. 

“Over the summer my friends and I got free passes to the Planet Fitness in Streetsboro with their student plans! I liked the stair master,” said Sophomore Chloe Messner. 

“For the golf team, they let me practice my swing at Ellsworth Meadows so that I can play even when it’s snowing outside,” noted Sophomore McKenna Kiewatt.

Just small things, like going on a run, meeting up with friends and staying healthy help athletes gain confidence in their sport when it starts up. Athletes should understand that the best way to improve during the season is to stay committed, even during the off-season.

$150
$500