All high school students should consider joining music programs

Senior+Jason+Dement+and+Assistant+Band+Director+John+Burrington+hold+up+signs+during+during+band+camp%2C+which+is+held+every+year+for+members+of+the+Hudson+Swing+Marching+Band+during+the+summer+at+Marietta+College.+
Kai Kurokawa
Senior Jason Dement and Assistant Band Director John Burrington hold up signs during during band camp, which is held every year for members of the Hudson Swing Marching Band during the summer at Marietta College.

In recent years, the popularity of music at our high school has dwindled. The marching band with over two hundred students just ten years ago now has just over one hundred. There is only one junior in the trumpet section and a combined four upperclassmen in a section of fourteen students. These problems don’t stem from a non-enjoyable experience, as many students enjoy their rehearsal and having fun with other musicians afterward. Instead, they stem from a lack of push for participation and people not being informed of how fun and beneficial music can be. And yet, many people are involved with music in middle school but don’t continue it throughout high school. The question becomes, why didn’t they continue?

The first problem that comes about is time. High schoolers are involved in a variety of activities and it can be hard to manage all of them at once. Luckily, for the marching band, there is only one outside rehearsal every week, and when they transition to concert band after the football season, no outside rehearsals at all. For the most part, all the activities done with the band are done within school hours and with minimal commitments. In this sense, band also teaches you how to manage your time more efficiently, by forcing you to use it effectively to be able to manage your activities.

The second problem that students see with the music program is that it isn’t for them. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Take it from Senior Sam Galich, who says his favorite part of the band is “people [he’s] met.” The music program is ultimately going to be focused on music but the people that all come together because of it is what makes it worth it. Elliott Flippo, a Senior Section Leader, says he is in band because he, “likes to be part of the community.” All of these testimonies give a good idea about how people in a band are: people coming together for a common goal. Many people in band only see each other when at practices and would have never met them, had it not been for music. This sort of connectivity with such a diverse community is not seen in any other program and is heavily overlooked.

The final problem that is commonly brought up is that they feel “lazy” or don’t want to put their effort into a part of a program they don’t feel passionate about. But, like for all music and other extracurricular activities, you never know if you like something until you try it. Give yourself that benefit of the doubt, but just join. You truly cannot tell if you like something or not just by other people telling you if they don’t like it. Don’t let others dictate what you do and take initiative.

In short, there’s nothing I can do to change how you use your time in high school or what you do in your free time. When I first joined band, I didn’t think music would be as big of a role as it has been for me. I didn’t join band thinking, “Oh, I’ve always known I wanted to be in band! I know band is for me.” In fact, it was almost the total opposite, with the only reason why I decided to be in band being the people. As a Section Leader, a Senior, and a student, I humbly ask you to consider joining the music program. And to all of the people thinking of trying something new, or to the Freshmen who are overwhelmed with high school, the music programs have a welcoming community that will always accept a new face.

$200
$500