The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

Reading: A Benefit in more ways than one

A child enjoys the magic of reading while in a local library. Child reading at Brookline Booksmith by GPA Photo Archive is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED.

One of the first things a mother does when her child learns how to talk is to teach them how to read. The same goes for Kindergarten teachers, pulling out colorful children’s books and teaching five and six-year-olds how to sound out ‘where’ or ‘because.’ Teachers would have thirty-minute book sessions, reading popular titles such as If You Give a Mouse a Cookie or Goodnight Moon. It was a favorite time of day for many young children. But why, for most children, does enjoyment from reading stop there? 

There are thousands upon thousands of stories made from just a thought that plants a seed of imagination in those who read these stories. The World Literacy Foundation says, “Reading helps us practice imagination by letting the words describe a certain image while the reader manipulates the picture in the mind.” A child’s creativity can go far and beyond when you read just a little bit more than what is required. Such skills are so important in life whether it is for a job career or for your own personal enjoyment. It helps exercise the right side of the brain while expanding your knowledge on topics you knew little about or knew nothing at all. 

Many people use reading as a kind of escape from reality to try and imagine a world without the stress and tribulations of the real world. MHFA England stated, “Research by Dr David Lewis showed that reading as little as six minutes a day can reduce stress levels by 60% by reducing your heart rate, easing muscle tension and altering your state of mind.” So many people suffer from stress and one of the easiest solutions to that is just reading. 

Once you find a genre you like, reading can also turn into a pleasurable hobby that draws you into so many different worlds and experiences that are all wrapped up in a little stack of papers. Reading for escapism purposes is also beneficial as it can be transformative in changing how people interact with the world or other people. Escapism also leads to some stress relief because of how deeply immersed you get into the fictional world, oftentimes forgetting what made you worried or upset in the first place. 

Getting into reading is another problem entirely though. A person’s love for reading changes over the years. Once a student starts high school, reading is less about enjoyment and more of a requirement for your English course. Of Mice and Men, Romeo and Juliet and The Great Gatsby are all books English courses administer to students. The students only read the book to complete the assignment given and forget about actually enjoying the read. It can become tiresome, boring and overwhelming to many, and finding that spark of reading is the last thing anyone is really thinking about. But there is a solution. 

Many movies are adaptations of books. Harry Potter is famously known for this, others being The Hunger Games and Twilight. If you enjoyed these movies, try picking up the book. If there is a certain movie genre you enjoy like horror or romance, try searching up highly rated horror or romance books and see what you think. If you can’t afford a certain book, there are many bookstores that sell used copies of books at a marked-down price. And if there is a book you just can’t afford at all, try your local library. Getting a library card is simple and you’ll have unlimited choices. 

There are also online sources you can find books on. You can download books from Amazon, Kindle Unlimited and Barnes & Noble. You can also access audiobooks if you would rather listen to a story than read it. 

When picking out a book, try starting with one that is short and easier to read. Large books can be very intimidating for beginner avid readers, so finding something that’s 150-250 pages might be the best place to start. If you have no preference for a genre, try looking at the covers of books. Bright colors and pretty fonts or drawings are like giving a jar of candy to a baby. It lures you in and prompts you to read the blurb at the back of the book (or sometimes on the inside, usually on the folded part of a dust jacket). For some readers, books are like trophies and a pretty cover is one thing that makes owning those books all the more enjoyable. 

Reading does so many things to the mind and the soul. It forms a larger well of creativity in the mind, brings down stress levels and is a fun hobby to do when you’re looking for an adventure. Though it can be difficult to get into reading, there are many tips and tricks that make the experience easier and more enjoyable, and many options of format to read whatever book of your choosing. Anyone can be a reader with the right book in hand. 

$200
$500