The best Thanksgiving foods

The most popular Thanksgiving food is, to no one’s surprise, turkey. Used with permission/UCS blog – Union of Concerned Scientists.

Thanksgiving is one of the most popular holidays and gives families a chance to come together and share a meal. On the fourth November of each year, Americans eat certain foods associated with the holiday. Here are the top 10 most popular dishes during Thanksgiving as well as some of the most popular desserts.

The number one most popular Thanksgiving is the star of the show: the turkey. I give Turkey an 8.1/10. Turkey has the potential to be up to a 9/10 if cooked correctly, but all too often it is overcooked and dry. It is a very good source of lean protein as well.

The second most popular Thanksgiving food is mashed potatoes. I rate them a 7.9/10. I used to love mashed potatoes, but as I have gotten older I find them to be pretty bland. They are a solid side dish and deserve respect, but they are not the best part of the meal.

Number three is green bean casserole. I give this a 6.8/10. I have never had much green bean casserole, but from what I remember, it is a solid, respectable casserole. If I was able to have more, I could give it a more accurate rating.

The number four most popular food is sweet potatoes. I give sweet potatoes a 9.7/10 as I am a huge fan of sweet potatoes. They have such a high rating due to their versatility and taste. You can make candied sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, sweet potato casserole, mashed sweet potatoes or even just cube them up. They are without a doubt the most versatile food at the Thanksgiving table.

The fifth most popular Thanksgiving dish is the rolls with a 9/10. Hawaiian rolls could potentially save the day if all else fails. They are the most reliable food at Thanksgiving. They are sweet pillows that just go so well with the rest of the food.

The sixth most popular dish is cranberry sauce, which gets a rating of 7.6/10. It is a very underrated addition to the meal. It is a great combo with the turkey or the rolls when it is the homemade cranberry sauce, not the canned, spherical, and gelatinous sauce. It receives lots of unnecessary criticism and is overall a great sauce.

The seventh most popular Thanksgiving food is pumpkin pie, even though it is a dessert! I am not personally a fan and will give it a rating of 6.9/10. It is, without a doubt, the most popular Thanksgiving dessert, but I just do not like the texture. I think it has a solid taste but the texture is just mush. I gave it a higher rating, though, because I know how connected many others feel to the dessert.

The number eight most popular Thanksgiving dish is stuffing. I am not a fan of stuffing at all and I give it a rating of 4.1/10. I do not find enjoyment in eating stale bread with sausage and vegetables. I do not understand why it is so popular and beloved by Americans around the country.

The number nine most popular Thanksgiving dish is my favorite, macaroni and cheese. A good mac and cheese is the best Thanksgiving side. But, if it is prepared incorrectly, it is utterly atrocious. Luckily, it is pretty easy to make, so this is not a common occurrence. I give it a rating of 9.8/10.

And the tenth and final most popular Thanksgiving side is gravy. Gravy is a staple of Thanksgiving and brings the meal together. It can add flavor and moisture to turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and other iconic holiday foods I’ve listed. I give it a solid 8.2/10. 

The desserts at Thanksgiving are just as important as the main dishes. They can help fix a below-average meal, and give you something to look forward to. The most popular dessert is pumpkin pie, which I’ve already rated. The second most popular dessert is pecan pie. Pecan pie is a great dessert. It is sweet and crunchy and just overall tastes fantastic. I give it a 7.9/10.

The third most popular dessert is cherry pie, one of my personal favorites. It is sweet, tangy and delicious. An important factor is the crust. I am not a fan of a pie with a bad crust. It needs to be light, buttery and flakey. Cherry pie is my personal favorite dessert, but America’s third favorite. I give it a 9.1/10. 

Thanksgiving is a fantastic holiday with lots of great food. It is a time for families to come together in their busy lives and enjoy a meal together. All of these Thanksgiving foods help families reconnect over past memories and make new ones in the process.

$200
$500