The process of obtaining a driver’s license

A student taking driver’s ed though the Top Driver program practices in-car driving with an instructor. In-car instruction is where students will get hands-on experience operating a vehicle. Used with permission/Top Driver Driving School.

Every teen imagines getting their driver’s license the second they turn sixteen years old, but the events leading up to that are often brushed over. The process of obtaining a driver’s license can be long and complex, but the result makes it worthwhile.

The whole process begins with receiving a learning permit, completing a driver’s ed class, practicing the repetitive task of practicing, and finally the skills assessment. It all can seem intimidating, but when broken down obtaining a license can be simple. 

The first step in receiving your driver’s license is to acquire a learner’s permit, also known as a  temporary instruction permit identification card (TIPIC or “temps”). To obtain one, the learner must be at least fifteen and a half years of age. Next, the learner must go to a local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office for a vision test and the forty-question knowledge test and pass. Tip: Before taking the test, taking a practice test on an approved driver’s ed website can provide accurate expectations for the real test. On the official test, one may choose to skip a question if desired. When the test-taker gets thirty right the test will automatically end and the learner passes. A birth certificate and/or social security number to prove identification is required.

After obtaining a temporary permit, a prospective driver must go through driver’s training. The two most popular driver’s ed courses for Hudson students are HCER and Top Driver. Both are very good options with the only major difference being the availability of online and in-person offerings.

HCER is the in-person driver’s course. The course is twenty-four hours long with the classes starting at 3:15 to 7:30 pm, after school. If taken over the summer, the course is twice a week from 9:00 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. The course also includes 8-hour in-car driving classes.

The Top Driver online course is also a great option as students can complete the course as it fits in their schedule. The course is engaging and helps students learn from the comfort of their own homes. Tip: If busy a schedule takes up a big portion of time, then the online course is a good option. 

The final part of the process—and the most nerve-wracking for many students—is the behind-the-wheel exam. By this point, the student has taken their temporary permit test, gone through a driver’s education course, and practiced in-car driving with an instructor. The driving examiner will guide you through a series of tasks and maneuvers you will need to perform to pass. Tip: It is most important to remember to be aware of your surroundings, steer smoothly, stay in your lane and stick to the speed limit.

Obtaining a driver’s license is an extensive but exciting process that should be taken very seriously. Making sure to follow every step and not skip over anything is essential in getting a license and becoming a safe and effective driver.

$150
$500