Hudson High School’s favorite substitute teacher: Frank D. Alexander

Alexander+engages+in+a+student+presentation+during+one+of+his+classes+at+Malone+University.+Before+becoming+a+substitute+teacher+at+Hudson+High+School%2C+he+taught+as+a+Professional+in+Residence+at+Malone+University+for+five+years+until+disaster+struck+with+the+COVID-19+pandemic.+
Frank D. Alexander
Alexander engages in a student presentation during one of his classes at Malone University. Before becoming a substitute teacher at Hudson High School, he taught as a Professional in Residence at Malone University for five years until disaster struck with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Most students at Hudson High School have likely come across, experienced or even overheard the name of Hudson’s famous and most popular substitute teacher: Frank D. Alexander. 

Alexander has had the pleasure of substitute teaching at Hudson High School since Mar. 19, 2023 and substituted a whopping total of 58 times in that year alone. In fact, he enjoys substitute teaching so much that he “would sub everyday if the opportunity to do so was available.”

As a 78-year-old, Alexander still claims to have lots of energy since he is constantly around high schoolers and younger people in general. 

These students not only bring out his energy, but also put a huge smile on his face. 

“Hudson High School students are great kids. They are friendly, always seem to have a smile on their faces and always greet me in the hallways with a cheerful ‘Hello, Frank!’ and that makes me happy,” Alexander states. 

Before Alexander became a substitute teacher at Hudson High School, he worked as a businessman at Diebold World Headquarters in Canton during the day and worked as an adjunct faculty member at Stark State Community College during two nights per week. Within those nights, he would teach two business classes back-to-back. 

I was very busy to say the least, but I loved the classroom environment and the energy and passion my students brought to our classroom experience,” Alexander expresses. 

After he retired at Diebold, Alexander was asked to teach as a Professional in Residence at Malone University. He taught there for five years until disaster struck with the COVID-19 pandemic. Alexander and his other colleagues were sent home “until further notice.”

However, the university never asked Alexander to come back after the pandemic was over. So, he sought out to find a teaching position in the Summit County area. 

He eventually came across Bev O’Connor, the former band teacher at Hudson High School. After hearing that Alexander was trying to find an education-like job, she asked him to consider substitute teaching at Hudson High School. 

Since I already had my Masters degree, I jumped right in and I have been having a wonderful experience with some of the most fantastic students, teachers and staff members in Northeastern Ohio, that’s for sure,” Alexander shares. 

Alexander is not only a substitute teacher at Hudson High School, though. He can also be found substitute teaching at the Hudson Middle School and even some of the elementary schools in Hudson. 

In fact, Alexander was just recently called in to teach a kindergarten art class at McDowell Early Learning School. He was extremely excited to spend his entire day with them, as they used their minds, their hands and their hearts to create some amazing artwork. 

Alexander exclaimed that he “Can’t wait to get back to see them againthey were so cute AND smart!” 

Alexander sells his abstract designs during the HUDSONmART art show and gives all of his proceeds from the sales to Akron Canton’s Regional Food Bank. Used with permission/A.Tallat-Kelpsa.

Part of the love for the art class was also due to his own passion for creating art. His artwork is unique because he designs each of his abstract pieces in a geometrical pattern. 

Lillian Meyer, a social studies teacher at Hudson High School, reveals how Alexander has given her multiple pieces of his artwork for free. 

“He is generous in that way, but he is also just generous with his time and intentions.”

Meyer is certainly right about Alexander being generous with his time and intentions. Every summer, he sells his abstract designs on the green in Hudson’s downtown area during HUDSONmART and gives all of his proceeds from the sales to Akron-Canton’s Regional Food Bank. He hopes to help feed children that can’t afford food. He also designates part of his booth to free designs for HHS students and anyone else he knows who visits.

Even though Alexander is all around a generous person, he is especially generous to all the students that he substitutes for at Hudson High School.  

Senior Tanna Williams mentioned that, “he always asks about everyone’s day and genuinely cares about his students.”

Another reason that Alexander has so much passion towards Hudson High School and the Hudson City Schools District as a whole is because both of his children, Tony and Anita, graduated from here.  

His daughter, Anita, played basketball and soccer all four years at Hudson High School, while his son, Tony, was in the marching band. 

For 12 years, Alexander ran the Saturday Hoops Basketball program at Hudson High School. He had 180 girls from third through eighth grade participate in the program.

“We must have done something right because when Anita was a senior, her team won 20 games and only lost one!” Alexander exclaims. 

In fact, Alexander still continues to watch and support both the Hudson girls varsity and junior varsity basketball teams. Watching the girls play basketball reminds him of his daughter playing in her younger years.

Nonetheless, Alexander still plans to continue substitute teaching at Hudson High School and the other schools throughout Hudson City School District. 

He has ultimately opened up the eyes and minds of Hudson High Schoolers by teaching them how to properly build relationships, be successful for future life opportunities and be kind to everyone including themselves. 

$150
$500