Floor Band: From the living room floor to the big stage

The band members rehearse in their studio. Used with permission/Floor Band Instagram.

Bandmates Ella Choi, Jack Warner and Miles Muller started their band from the ground up. Literally. 

“When we practice, whether it is a conscious decision or not, we always end up on the floor,” said Muller. 

Warner and Muller reminisced about Floor Band’s origins, recalling their original group, Tap Water. The two started Tap Water inspired by The Riverside, a Californian folk trio composed of Jake Jeanson, Kristen Posey and Chase Fierro, self-proclaimed “best friends and present-day bards.” Warner and Muller initially decided to try their idea by practicing regularly as a duo. Choi later asked to join the group, bringing her vocal abilities and guitar and banjo prowess to the mix. The existing band became more official, and Floor Band was born.

A typical rehearsal for Floor Band happens for a few hours twice a week. Warner explained that the band makes sure not to take themselves too seriously, so their practices are very fun. They practice their sets, which mostly consist of covers since the band is fairly new. One of their favorite songs to perform is “Cleopatra” by the Lumineers.

Recently, the band has been working to create more original music. Their original discography is currently comprised of songs from Choi’s personal career, but they revealed that the future holds many more collaborative originals in store. In terms of putting their music on streaming services, Muller teased, “All I will say is March is going to be a busy month.” The bandmates hinted at a successful future to come. 

Watching a simple hobby grow into something bigger has been surreal for the trio. On March 2, Floor Band competed in a Battle of the Bands hosted by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Before they performed their set, they executed an intricate handshake and shared a Trader Joe’s Fruit Jelly, a tradition they practice before every performance. Their authenticity and down-to-earth approach to their rehearsals translate to the stage, giving the group a casual and friendly air. Warner posited that their genuine stage presence is one thing that sets their band apart.

Samantha Rosenberg, Muller’s girlfriend and a good friend of Choi, professed her pride in the band’s success. “I’m so proud of the band and how far they’ve gotten in the battle of the bands. They’re so talented and deserve to be noticed. They deserve to go all the way.” Rosenberg is one of the band’s biggest fans.

When asked how far they want to take the band, Muller stated, “I think all of us would love to carry it on if we can somehow make it a sustainable and consistent thing. The future could be bright.” 

Choi recalled her most influential role model in music growing up was Taylor Swift, who inspired her to pick up the guitar and write her own songs. Choi shared that singing has been a lifelong passion, and she began playing the guitar in sixth grade.

As for her banjo skills, Choi acknowledged that the banjo is an uncommon instrument for a high schooler to play. When asked how she began playing the instrument she explained, “When the band first started, we all played the guitar, but we wanted some variety in the instruments that we played, so I decided to pick up the banjo.” According to Choi, “It was easier to start after learning guitar because I already had an understanding of basic techniques and chords.”

Warner reflected on his history with music as well. He shared that music was always something he enjoyed while growing up. He explained that some of his oldest memories are of himself and his family singing in the car together, something he still loves to do today. Warner recounted that he began playing the guitar in middle school but didn’t play it consistently until around last year. 

Muller, also a talented guitarist and singer, confirmed that it’s never too late to pursue your dreams. He stated, “I’ve always loved music and started playing the guitar about four years ago. I never thought it would turn into anything more than playing in my room, but I’d say I started pursuing music as something that could be a possible career in the past couple of months.” He stated his musical journey was inspired by “Artists like Tyler Childers, Charley Crockett, Ray LaMontagne, Caamp and The Riverside.” He continued, “Music has always been a constant in my life. It creates community and builds relationships.” 

Floor Band’s shared love for music allowed them to create something bigger together. Floor Band has taken their hobby and turned their dreams into reality, with much support from the Hudson community. To pursue a collective goal and yield results at such a young age and a busy time in their lives is a unique achievement.

$150
$500