Thrifting: The Better alternative to fast fashion

Senior Jason Dement outside the GOLF store, a store that sells designer street clothes. With designer brands having a primarily high price point, buying clothes from thrift stores can be the perfect way to find affordable clothes that look just as good as designer brands. Used with permission/Kai Kurokawa.

It’s well-known that celebrities and trendy fashion go hand-in-hand. Whether it be an expensive dress for the red carpet, or rapper Rick Ross’ $1.5 million chain, clothing and accessories are a key piece of identity for influencers and celebrities alike. Most of these celebrities have custom-made pieces tailored to their needs, which is reflected in the price that they pay for the clothing. But for the common folk that cannot afford the price of the newest brands and trends, they instead turn to cheaper options.

These cheaper options, known as fast fashion, have exploded in popularity, and created clashes among the fashion industry. While buying inexpensive clothing is a smart and effective way to spend money, the money should also be going towards a good cause. 

Because of this, thrift stores should become the standard way for people to sell unwanted clothes, and to buy used clothes. Thrifting should be normalized; there are more unique pieces of clothing, people can try the clothes on to see how they fit and it is a more sustainable option as opposed to new clothing.

One of the biggest reasons people go thrift shopping is to find a “hidden gem,” something so unique that isn’t sold elsewhere. Whether this be an old t-shirt or a bold jacket, the thrift store has something for everyone. Many people go to thrift stores not only to purchase items, but also to give away clothes that they no longer need or wear. With the newer trends of Y2K and clothes from the ‘90s and 2000s, clothes from those eras are plentiful in thrift stores.

In addition to this, many students wear clothes that their parents used to wear, which is another instance of reusing clothes. The excitement of not knowing what is available, mixed with the hope for the perfect sweatshirt, is enough of a reason for someone to start thrifting.

Thrifting also allows for more accurate sizing. Trying to buy oversized clothes online can be challenging, but if you thrift, you can try it on right at the store. Combined with the unique designs that thrift stores have to offer, thrift stores are a great place to try on bold clothes that you wouldn’t usually wear.

It is more sustainable to thrift than to buy clothes new or online. Thrifting is a great way to prevent more waste and to create a sustainable way to reuse clothes. In a world where trash and plastic waste is rising, it is increasingly paramount to make choices that support the environment.

Some may say that thrifting is less sanitary than buying new clothes, and that it’s difficult to find a specific piece of clothing. This claim is refutable, as simply washing the clothes before you wear it ensures that they’re clean. In addition, others believe that clothes bought online are extremely unsanitary, as they are transported on planes and trucks. This is also invalid, as the reason why many people go thrifting is not to purchase specific clothing pieces, but rather to have the thrill and surprise of finding something new. The whole point of thrift shopping is not knowing what is in stock and being surprised with what is. 

Thrifting is a trend that is rapidly growing and should be done by everyone. While it may be appealing to conform to fast fashion, many who thrift have a unique identity with their clothing. Whether you are a veteran to fashion, or trying to conserve clothes, thrifting can be a great way to save on money, find hidden gems and to save the environment.

$150
$500