Senior Farewell: How The Explorer changed my high school experience

Lily Arigo, Greta Knipe, Erica Liu and Ella Smetham at Senior Sunrise in their college gear. Knipe and Smetham will be at Ohio State in the fall, while Arigo is going to Denison and Liu is headed to Stanford. Used withpermission/Greta Knipe.

My favorite word as a child was no. I said no so much it became more than a word. It was a way of life.

My ‘no’ mindset was so strong that before I even turned five, I had deemed myself incapable of most of the activities I tried. That, or I was ‘too old’ to start (which is nonsensical coming from a toddler, I know).

No matter where I lived or what school I attended, I always found a reason I could not stick with something.

Now, as a senior about to graduate, I know how silly that way of thinking was. I also see how lucky I am that I gave myself a chance and joined The Explorer.

Joining the newspaper was not a goal of mine going into high school. Instead, it was a last-minute replacement for a study hall in my sophomore schedule.

I was far from a perfect writer in tenth grade. Following my usual pattern, this would have made me quit when I felt like I wasn’t good enough to write for the newspaper.

Maybe it was my love of writing, maybe it was because I wanted to be in a class with my now Co-Editor-in-Chief Ava Tallat-Kelpsa, but for some reason, I chose to stay.

This decision let me in on a very small, colorful, tight-knit section of the Hudson High School tapestry. After feeling disconnected from the “Explorer” title for so long—thanks to my inability to commit to an athletic, artistic or academic extracurricular in which I could represent the school—it finally felt like it fit me.

Three years later, working on The Explorer has become a fundamental aspect of my life. Editing articles and adjusting templates is just part of my routine. Asking my friends for article ideas is normal conversation.

If I were to give underclassmen a single piece of advice, it would be this: give yourself a chance. The perfect timing or version of yourself that you are waiting for will never arrive.

Do not feel unprepared for whatever it is you want to do just because you aren’t where you think you should be.

Doing that gave me a sense of community I hadn’t felt before. I found a group with shared interests and goals. It also strengthened my writing and interpersonal skills and prepared me to pursue journalism at Ohio State in the fall. Journalism is located at the intersection of so many of my interests, and I never would have considered it without The Explorer.

Going from Reporter to Copy Editor to Co-Editor-in-Chief gave me experience in teamwork and leadership I would not have had otherwise.

I don’t know how to feel about the end of my high school career. On one hand, I am excited to stand on the precipice of change and see my future on the horizon.

On the other hand, there are aspects of high school that I will miss: my friends, my favorite teachers, the community, the routine of it all. And, of course, The Explorer.

What I do know is that I would not be as ready to take on the future if I hadn’t allowed myself to find that community and my place within it.

$200
$500