Animals serve our lives in many different ways

This is an example of a service dog at work with his owner. Both are training at a facility for the ability to work together.
Flickr/DennisSchroeder

Many people around the world need help doing tasks that require someone to be around 24/7. Many can’t have the constant attention that is needed every day, so that’s when service animals come into place. 

Not only do service animals have the intelligence and the constant attention needed, they also have the ability to connect with their humans in many different ways that most people can’t give. 

Most commonly, service animals are dogs. The most common dog breeds for service work are Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherd Dogs, Saint Bernards, Collies and Cocker Spaniels. Although rabbits, horses, cats, etc. are considered “service animals,” the ADA says “they aren’t legally recognized as a service animal” and more commonly known as emotional support animals. 

With their bright vests and special outfits, service dogs are easily recognizable. You may wonder why you aren’t allowed to pet or touch the dog while they’re on duty. According to Service Dog Etiquette, “Touching or petting a working dog is a distraction and may prevent him from tending to his human partner. The dog may be in the process of completing a command or direction given by his human, and you don’t want to interfere.” It is very important that the dog remains on duty. If their human is in need of something you may prevent the dog from helping the way they need to. Many don’t realize that if a dog is napping it isn’t working. Service Dog Etiquette says, “All dogs nap, including working dogs. When her handler is sitting or standing for some length of time, it’s perfectly natural and appropriate for a service dog to catch a few winks.” 

Certain facilities work with dogs and their owners, matching them up and setting them both up for success. PAWS With a Cause is one of the most known. PAWS is specifically designed for assisting people who are disabled in one or more of their limbs. PAWS says, Service Dogs can enhance a person’s independence by helping with tasks such as pulling a wheelchair, opening doors, turning light switches on/off or picking up objects as small as a dime. If a client falls, the dog can even act as a brace to help them up.” Service dogs do more than we can even imagine. 

Every once in a while, you may have seen the brown service dog at HHS. This dog’s name is Rocco and he is one of the most important dogs at HHS. To many, seeing his happy face makes their day. Rocco is what you would consider an emotional support dog. 

Emotional support dogs can be found in hospitals cheering up the patients and giving them something to focus on other than their medicine and treatments. They can also be found in schools, like Rocco. The Emotional Support Certifications says, The mental health community has found that animals can offer unconditional love and support that can help to alleviate the symptoms of psychological disorders. 

Although emotional support dogs and service dogs may seem the same, they are very different. The American Kennel Club says, the key difference between a service dog and an emotional support dog is whether the animal has been trained to perform a specific task or job directly related to the person’s disability. For example, service dogs are trained to alert a hearing-impaired person to an alarm or guide a visually impaired person around an obstacle or provide pressure on someone with PTSD who is suffering from a panic attack.

A few years ago, in Dayton Ohio, following the shooting, some of their Lutheran Churches brought comfort dogs to help those who are grieving. Many felt as though they were able to talk when the dog’s presence was there. Finding it easier to talk to a dog rather than other people, many finally were able to heal. Many considered the dogs as a sense of hope when everything else was lost.

Another organization in Ohio, Pets for Patients, has paired more than 42 dogs and humans together. They say, All dogs are acquired through southwest Ohio shelters or rescue groups. Each dog receives all of its veterinary care, obedience and temperament training, and is slowly introduced to families. To ensure their forever home they create only the best dogs to accommodate all of the humans’ needs. To have such a helpful organization practically in our back yard is an honor. 

Service dogs and other animals are crucial to many peoples lives every day. Without these amazing animals, many wouldn’t be as independent or mobile. 

$200
$500