The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

Halloween at HHS

On October 31st, people worldwide come together to celebrate Halloween by dressing up in costumes and allowing children to trick-or-treat. In high school, fewer students choose to go trick or treating, but they still get involved in the holiday by dressing up in costumes. At Hudson High School, all students and staff are encouraged to dress up to celebrate the day, which makes the hallways very entertaining during class changes. Students who wear costumes can participate in the Halloween Parade, put on annually by the Student Government, and the winner is chosen by the students’ loudest applause. Here is a collection of students who were festive enough to wear costumes this year, seen at the parade and around the school on Halloween.

Travis Anglewitz, junior, portrays Wyborn “Wybie” Lovat from the stop-motion film Coraline. Although the full costume isn’t visible, Travis is wearing a long black coat with black skeleton gloves. Black buttons can be seen over his eyes, which is something many characters in Caroline have. He claims he dressed up as Wybie because “my mom asked me to.” (Used with Permission/ Emma Lenz)
Jessica Miller (left) and Arlene Karra (right), both juniors, coordinate outfits to be the two female characters from Teen Titans, Raven and Starfire. Jessica wears a purple cloak and a red diamond, two noticeable traits of Raven. Arlene wears a light purple two-piece, silver sleeves, and a green diamond, all colors significant to Starfire’s style. They share that the two are “best friends,” both in real life and as characters. (Used with Permission/ Emma Lenz)
Emma Cantillon, senior, represents Daphne Blake from the Scooby-Doo franchise. She can be seen in the character’s well-known purple dress and light green scarf. Since there are normally other members of the Mystery Gang with her, it’s not surprising that Emma’s friend dressed up as Velma. Emma says this was the perfect costume for her because “Daphne has red hair, and I also have red hair.” (Used with Permission/ Ava Tallat-Kelpsa)
(From left to right) Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Tomins and Mrs. Hudak, lunch and study hall aides, are dressed as police officers. Their tops are identical to each other, which they thought was needed to make the group outfit feel complete. When asked why they chose these costumes, Mrs. Tomins was quick to spill that “the students say high school is like a prison, and that we’re their prison guards.”
(Used with Permission/ Ava Tallat-Kelpsa)

Robert Fordenwalt, freshman, dresses up as a clown. There are a lot of components to his outfit, from the colorful onesie and afro to the oversized clown shoes and extravagant makeup. He claims that he decided to wear the costume since “he thought it would be funny.” (Used with Permission/ Emma Lenz)
Dr. Griffiths, a librarian in the media center, represents the women who fought for female rights with her portrayal of a suffragette. She can be seen wearing traditional women’s clothing from times when females were oppressed. Griffiths reveals that she wanted to be a suffragist this year because she “already had the costume” and “appreciates female rights and their struggle to get them.” (Used with Permission/ Ava Tallat-Kelpsa)
Mr. Ellison, a tech support staff member, relives his childhood with his Mario Kart outfit. He’s wearing Mario’s classic red shirt, blue overalls, and red hat, along with a cardboard and duck-taped go-kart that makes him dressed as Mario Kart, not just Mario. Ellison shares that Mario “was always my favorite character, and I’ve played it [Mario Kart] since I was a little kid.” (Used with Permission/ Ava Tallat-Kelpsa)
Lastly is Lindsey Ross, junior, who is supporting Chick-fil-A through her inflatable cow costume. Throughout the day she inflated and reinflated the costume many times, constantly choosing between showing off her costume and being able to move around freely. Lindsey believes that “Chick-fil-A has the best chicken,” and that this outfit would be a tribute to that. (Used with Permission/ Ava Tallat-Kelpsa)

$200
$500