Pumpkin spice madness

Phoebe Krenn
The pumpkin spice lattes offered at Open Door can be purchased hot or cold for $5.00 each.

It’s the most sought-after time of the year: pumpkin spice season. With so many options around Hudson, it’s hard to know which is the best. After taste-testing the pumpkin spice options at the local Starbucks, Heartwood, Open Door and Dunkin’ Donuts, here are the best pumpkin spice drinks to try this season.

Firstly, Starbucks. When ordering the medium hot pumpkin spice latte, the total came out to $5.95. The presentation was mediocre; nothing special. It had a mostly white top with a sprinkle of cinnamon with the rest of the drink being brownish-orange. The first sip is very sweet and has a strong pumpkin flavor. However, the pumpkin tastes very artificial and it overpowers the spices in the drink. Although the drink is a bit more expensive than the competitors, it’s still a classic. With that addition, Starbucks’s Pumpkin Spice Latte gets an 8/10

Next, we have Heartwood. Although a smaller brand, their pumpkin spice latte does not disappoint. Starting with the price, it’s $5.25 for a medium. The presentation is exceptional. Although not always, the barista occasionally puts swirl art on top. Heartwood had a perfect balance between the pumpkin and the spices used in the drink. The pumpkin in the drink does not taste artificial and tastes like the purée itself. In addition to the amazing drink, Heartwood itself has a warm and cozy atmosphere and is native to Hudson. Overall, I give Heartwood’s Pumpkin Spice Latte a 9/10.

The third company is another smaller business, Open Door Coffee. The price was about $5.00 for a medium pumpkin spice. The presentation was mediocre as well, nothing special or unique about the drink besides the cinnamon on top. The drink itself was very hot, and the pumpkin flavor was not as strong. The latte was very sweet but the nutmeg taste was overpowering. The pumpkin flavor was not intense yet it still tasted artificial. Despite the drink’s flaws, Open Door received a higher rating due to the homey feel of the shop and the nice staff. All that considered, I give Open Door’s PSL an 8/10. 

Lastly was the Dunkin Donuts Pumpkin Spice Latte. A medium was about $4.29. Again, the presentation was nothing unique and it looked a little rushed. The nice balance between the pumpkin and the spice was surprising compared to the other aspects. However, the drink was incredibly sweet. Dunkin rating is raised due to the price being so low when you have a much larger drink and also the convenience of getting a latte on the road through their drive-through and portable cup. Dunkin’ receives a 7.5/10

After trying four different pumpkin spice lattes, the best pumpkin spice latte in town is Heartwood. Overall, Heartwood had a decent price, and the taste is much better than that of its competitors. Heartwood also deserves this rating for its fall atmosphere and friendly staff. Their coffee is consistently good, and their service never lacks, which means that every single time you get one from Heartwood, you don’t have to worry about them messing up, which isn’t the case for larger businesses such as Starbucks or Dunkin. If you are looking for the perfect pumpkin spice latte in the Hudson area, then Heartwood should be your destination this fall.

$200
$500