The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

Standardized testing: Change or be gone!

Its a new era of college admissions, and many schools have begun to turn to test optional admission programs.
flickr
It’s a new era of college admissions, and many schools have begun to turn to test optional admission programs.

The ACT and SAT are tests designed for highschool students, to measure aptitude, which predicts how successful a student will be in the future. Standardized tests have been around for nearly 100 years. The SAT originated in 1926, while the ACT began testing in 1959. Standardized tests like these are controversial because students are challenged by the layout of these exams. Things that students struggle with are the rigid time limits, high volume of questions, variability of questions and most importantly, the difficulty of test content, to name a few. 

For several years, more and more colleges and universities have been shifting to become test-optional, meaning students are not required to submit ACT or SAT scores when applying. The optional feature, however, does still leave the chance for students to submit their test scores, especially if they want to be considered for merit-based scholarships, honors colleges, and more rewards that vary by school. Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic took the United States by storm, these numbers have risen to the hundreds. Many schools understood that it became increasingly more difficult to not only test, but to focus, study, and achieve desirable scores for students during the pandemic. This was a step in the right direction, and something that schools across the country should continue to do.

I recently surveyed 40 random students at HHS and asked questions about standardized testing in order to gauge how the student body feels about them. Of these 40 students, 36 of them have taken the ACT or SAT before, which is 90%. These high numbers of test takers stem from the fact that HHS strongly encourages students to take the test, even offering a valuable chance to take the ACT for free to all juniors.

When asked if they think standardized testing can cause unnecessary stress, 35 of these 40 students said yes. While it’s clear that the tests can be stressful, what do these students think makes it so hard? One student polled said, “More time for breaks would be helpful. It’s difficult to focus on taking a test for almost 4 hours straight.” Another student mentioned how hard the time limit is.  “More time for each section would be beneficial. I don’t see the test as measuring my knowledge, but my ability to bubble in answers very fast.”

One common argument from the students I surveyed was the argument of being a good test taker. Several of these respondents said that they are accomplished and scholarly students in school, but cannot achieve a good test score. This is backed up by Penn State University, where they said up to 60% of test takers can be plagued with test anxiety which causes stress and feelings of worry when taking an important exam.

What I found interesting was how many students support standardized tests. One thing that almost all the surveyed students had in common, was the need for improvement. Some respondes urged these testing organizations to improve the time limit, format, and content instead of eradicating them. Most students agreed that everyone should have the option to take the test and submit their scores, but not be required. A senior at HHS, Megan Petrik had a great point to add, “I am a relatively good test-taker, and so I feel like my ACT score reflects one of my biggest academic strengths. It should be optional, however, because not everyone has that strength, and it shouldn’t be mandatory to show off a score that doesn’t reflect you. I also think that in the college search process, seeing the average ACT or SAT scores helps me, and others, grasp the likelihood of getting admitted. Therefore, it should stay optional, not being looked down upon if people choose not to submit their scores. It ultimately is another resource to use in the college application process and a voluntary method of showing your strengths.” 

Yet another common concern of test takers was the overall price. If a student wants to take the ACT or SAT, it will cost them 60 dollars, and an extra 25 if they want to take the test with writing(which is recommended). ACT Inc. also charges 16 dollars per school when submitting scores. So hypothetically, if a student took the ACT with writing 3 times, and applied to 5 colleges, this would be a grand total of about $335, which is not cheap, and is especially difficult for students who come from low-income families. 

Some of my peers who responded to the survey were highly supportive of standardized tests, for valid reasons. A few responded by saying that it’s helpful not only for colleges to determine who they want to admit, but also for students to view where they rank among their class. One respondent argued that all students can achieve a high score, they just need to put in the work and study consistently.

The main reason why I believe all schools should be test optional is because millions of students across America do not have access to take an expensive test five times, and it causes mental exhaustion and stress. By all means, private universities can feel free to award scholarships, grants and accolades to students who choose to submit their scores, but they should never require a test that burdens students.

$200
$500