Hudson Rugby: Trust the Process

The Boys Rugby Team.
Used with permission/Edward Proctor
The Boys Rugby Team.

Trust in the Hudson Men’s Rugby Team, there is a process for greatness that takes time, and the time has come for the Explorers Rugby team. There has been a complete change in the Hudson Rugby team over the past few years, made possible by the change in coaches and the team’s increased advertising. The team put flyers around the school and got others to easily join. As well as old players who took a break from Rugby re-joining the team, many new players have made their mark on the field. Another change that has benefited Hudson’s team is the closure of the Walsh Jesuit High School Rugby program; players from Walsh will be playing for the Explorers in rugby this year. The team finished at 13-3 during the fall sevens season, with the only losses coming from the St. Ignatius team.

In previous years, the players didn’t enjoy their head coach and were disappointed by practically winless seasons. There was constant visible frustration from the coaches and players and little to none communication during the match or after. Coaches were more concerned with running their style of plays (even when it didn’t fit the team), and the players were concerned with making plays, as well as playing selfish offense. Carrying the ball and not passing when the opportunity comes up. As losses racked up, players kept quitting, and many believed the Hudson Rugby Program would close soon. Alumni wouldn’t want to show up to the games to see their legacy ruined by poor play. They were close to hitting rock bottom.

Then boom! Out of nowhere, changes began to happen mid-season with a few new players joining. When the players came the team went from winless to winning out the rest of the regular season, as well as winning their first playoff game.

The new look of the team has fallen on the new head coach, Fuzz Dine. This is his second year of coaching, and he’s turned the team into a working machine with the help of assistant coach, Chris Reed. The year’s team understands the game plan and pays attention during practices. Coach Dine holds the team to high standards, and the players respond with the dignity and respect he deserves. These practices have put the heat on these players, full field sprints on the regular, in season mandatory lifting on top of practices, and at home yoga.

The players from the past are helping out too. The alumni are helping out coaching the team as well as bonding with the players, making rugby more of a family than a team. The alumni that have come up, have not only taken players under their wing,  but have also shown them skills that are taught at a very high  level of college rugby. Rugby is a tough sport, but it is mainly about working together, being a family member to your teammates and opponents, even through the tougher times you have to keep calm through all of it, its a community when you play on the rugby field with your teammates, all the players take it as an honor to step on the field and as  their opponent you have to respect and hold yourself to the same standard. 

The coaches have also gotten to schedule more games for the young and new players to gain experience. The last non league game that the rugby team played saw a freshman, Parker Jenks, score 2 tries on Saint Ed’s High School. These games don’t just give the younger players a time to show out and make plays, but it gives them experience. Then these young players with all this game time under their belt will continue to grow and be nightmares to play against for years to come. Players like Parker Jenks will be the reason the sport will continue to grow in the region. 

Quite literally from rags to riches, from being scared to play a St.Ignatius C-Team to competing with the St. Ignatius A Team not too long after they came back from a tournament in France with the changes and the growth of the youth on the team it has made Rugby a sport to watch out for. The rugby team has the talent and the coaching to go further than ever imagined before. The players have come together to make this the best it can possibly be. The Hudson Rugby Team is up next for the upcoming athletes. 

$200
$500