The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

Senior Farewell: This was nothing like Disney Channel said it would be

Vanja Dezelic
Mia has been writing for the paper for three years. As a senior, she contributed to the newspaper team as the Webmaster.

As a little kid, I would fantasize about my high school experience. Mainly influenced by Disney shows and movies, I pictured being the classic stereotype, popular, well liked, having a huge friend group and a romantic interest. I pictured myself attending parties, breaking into musical numbers in between classes, and all that fun stuff Disney was showing to us as 6 to 10 year olds. But now, three weeks away from graduation, I can say that young me would be deeply disappointed. 

My high school experience, along with the rest of my classmates experience, was anything but normal. We lost two years due to a global pandemic, then we had to figure out how to return to our old lives while balancing the stresses of junior year, including AP classes, the SAT and ACT, and the looming thoughts of college applications. Then before we knew it, we were walking into this building as seniors, which some days I still can’t believe. This year, we got those FNL football games, the dances, the senior nights, and some hefty cases of senioritis. Now I’m looking back at the person I’ve become and the memories I’ve made.   

I’ve spent four years swimming for the best high school swim team in the North East District. Instead of partying, I’ve made countless memories screaming and struggling on the lovely pool deck of Ada Cooper Miller Natatorium. I’ve become a district champion and state qualifier. And I’ve created bonds with people that will be hard to break. People who have influenced my life in such a positive way and have changed it for the better. 

But there was one thing that I didn’t plan for, one thing that totally changed my life and perspective on so many things, for the better. And that was walking into B102, sitting down in front of a computer, and becoming a reporter, editorials editor and webmaster of The Explorer. 

Mia Dezelic in 2010 before her first ever day of school. (Vanja Dezelic)

I’ve always been a very vocal person, having lots of thoughts and opinions I’ve wanted to share with others. So when the opportunity to become a reporter for The Explorer presented itself my sophomore year, I couldn’t resist. And then I found myself falling in love with journalism. In this room, I’ve learned how to use my voice to invoke change. I’ve learned how to become a better writer, how to work alongside others, how to respect those with differing opinions, and so much more.  I’ve been able to get to know and work alongside some amazing people these past three years. People who have made this experience so memorable. And I’ve gotten to know Mrs. C, who is by far the best teacher I’ve ever had, and next year I’ll be visiting for her and her only. But above all, I’ve discovered this passion, and I don’t see me leaving journalism any time soon. 

To any underclassmen who is reading this, I urge you, if you have a voice that you want to share, find that activity that allows you to be your true self, safe from any judgment or expectations, a place where you can do what you truly want to do. Being on this staff has made me a mature, respectful and more vocal young woman, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Did this experience live up to the expectations of young Mia? No, but I wouldn’t change a single thing about it. 

$200
$500