The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

Hudson Boys Freshman Baseball: The start of their coveted journey at HHS

The+new+Hudson+High+School+baseball+turf+which+is+on+the+varsity+field.+
Akron Beacon Journal
The new Hudson High School baseball turf which is on the varsity field.

The Spring baseball season has begun. The freshman boys’ team has started their journey in the Hudson baseball ranks. The freshman boys’ are currently 4-2 on the season. The boys play a competitive schedule including their trip to Florida, where they played some of the top competition. The freshmen were more than excited to begin the season. They were interviewed about the upcoming season, the tryout process, the coaches, and the Hudson baseball system. The boys interviewed were Luke Sutton, Holden Reed and Max Mikolay. These boys have had a lengthy baseball career, playing through the HBA Youth Travel Teams. (Hudson Baseball Association) The freshmen have a lot of experience with the game, playing in countless tournaments almost year-round. They have been more than excited for this season to begin. As all school sports begin, the inevitable tryout process has to begin as well.

In the words of Luke Sutton, “Tryouts were definitely nerve-racking because it has been our first time in this position. The biggest difference between youth and high school [base] ball, has to be the off-season commitment. If you really want to make the team, you have to start to show up to the lifts, practices, and team activities in December.” Luke is completely transparent about the commitment put into the team and the steps needed to make the team. The baseball team has really stepped up their off-season work. During the upcoming months of the season, there are team lifts and practices. These activities took place before practice and are definitely a mental game. According to Luke Sutton, “The morning practices before school were something totally different then something I was used to. They were fun but were a grind as we came closer to the season.” Regardless of how important the off-season practices are, the tryouts were the most important key to making the team. In the collection, the boys had a very positive outlook on how tryouts went. As stated by Max Mikolay, “Tryouts were definitely smooth, they lasted for about a week. The coaches were a huge help in walking us through the drills and just helping us out in general.” For freshmen, it is standard to make the “lowest” freshman team. Likewise, it is common in basketball, the freshmen stick together throughout all four years. The boys will build chemistry during this time together and will continue to succeed.

The two freshman coaches are Coach Aaron Zehnal and Coach Kevin Fowler. According to Luke Sutton, “Both of our coaches are helpful for many things outside of baseball. I feel like I can talk to them about things on a personal level. They have really added to the brotherhood within the Hudson baseball team.” Both coaches for Hudson Baseball have really stepped up and made the transition to the next level impactful. The coaches are experienced, with many years of coaching. As said by Holden Reed, “Our coaches have really prepared us for this season, their input and practices have been very beneficial.” Day in and day out, the freshmen team works incredibly hard during practice. The team practices whenever possible, if not outdoors – indoors. The boys are always working and their play in the game definitely pays off. The season will be a great step for the freshmen. The team plays one of the best schedules in the state of Ohio. The team is currently 4-2, with much success in their trip down to Florida. When Luke Sutton was asked about the Spring break trip he said, “[The] Florida [trip] was great, we played against a majority of Junior Varsity teams and beat them. The games we won were a huge confidence booster.” With the teams’ competitive schedule, the games will only get harder throughout the season. Max Mikolay was asked about the impressive teams that Hudson will face. Max said, “The teams we play this season are going to be tough. We have a great coaching staff and we are prepared to take on any team on our schedule.” Last year the freshmen team had a solid record, playing against great out-of-conference teams, with a trip to the University of Coastal Carolina’s campus. This year’s freshmen have a lot to live up to from last year’s freshmen. Hudson baseball’s system is pure excellence, with competitive schedules to high-class talent. Hudson baseball is unlike any other program.

In conclusion, the Freshman boy’s baseball team season has started on a high note. With great coaches, a strong base of practices and a great system within the program. The freshmen are starting to make their mark on this season. With a talented class, the current freshmen are in store for a great season. As they go through the ranks, this class will definitely be fun to watch as the year progresses. With the skill in this class, when this team approaches the varsity team. They are going to be a special team.

$100
$500