Freshmen Hudson Girls Lacrosse: A stepping stone to greatness

Hudson Explorers Athletics
Last year’s girl’s lacrosse team poses after playing in the 2022 Regional final against Jackson.

With spring finally arriving, the highly anticipated spring sports teams will begin their seasons. For freshmen, it will be their first time experiencing these sports at the High School level. For any Freshman beginning their journeys as athletes as Hudson High School it can be stressful learning the ins and outs of their choice in athletic programs. Freshman on the Girls Lacrosse team speak out about their experience so far and what they expect this season to look like. There are no freshmen on the varsity team, so the girls will have that middle school and prior connections, and have great chemistry playing together.

In previous years, the girls lacrosse team has been known to be very skilled and competitive. Last year the Varsity team made it all the way to the Regional Finals where they fell to Jackson. Last year, the team also went 16-4. The Hudson Lady Explorers consistently strive for excellence. Hudson has seen some great girls teams throughout the year; most notably the 2021 season. The Lady Explorers defeated the Jackson-Massillon Polar Bears in the regional final 9-8. The statement win for the team, sent them to the OHSAA Final Four. The team went into the game as the underdogs as the two seed in the region. The Lady Explorers are hoping for another great playoff run in the 2023 season. The competitive varsity roster has been a result of the attention to   detail and hard work during the tryout process and the preseason.

One of the “scariest” aspects of entering sports at the high school for any sport is the tryout process. Freshmen Chloe Bigham, Morgan McStay and Kelsie Moore share their input on what they had to go through to be members of the Girls Lacrosse Team. Moore informs us, “The tryout process took longer than I expected but it went smoothly and it was very organized. Tryouts were indoor at NC Soccer Club which was nice because the weather was not the best.” Bigham and McStay both agree the upperclassmen were a huge part in making the try out process go smoothly. The “veterans” of the team understand how scary this might be for an entering freshman, and are more than ready to lend a hand. “The upperclassmen are all super nice. All of them were happy to offer us rides to tryouts and always checked in on us,” Bigham adds. Between all three girls it is clear that the girls are most excited to not just enjoy the sport but the social aspects too. Bigham says, “I think that games will be super fun but bus rides too. All of the girls are so nice and we are all pretty close teammates and I am excited to get to know them better too.” McStay also says she is looking forward to team bonding activities, “I think bus rides will be fun and being able to talk with my new teammates.” Kelsie agrees to and adds that she looks forward to pasta dinners. The new social aspect of high school sports creates bonds beyond inter grade level.

The three players also share that beginning their journey playing High School Lacrosse has been very different from middle school but the transition process has been pretty smooth. Moore says, “There is definitely a lot more commitment which is expected. Our practices are longer and we have more games.” The team currently has 18 in season games not counting postseason games for Varsity. The teams training schedule typically has them at either practice or games all throughout the week with two hour practices. Bigham agrees with Moore and also mentions again how the coaches have helped the process too.  “I think that the upperclassmen and coaches have done a good job helping us adjust to playing at the High School level. From our scrimmages so far the games have been more competitive and have required all of us to be more focused than in middle school which hasn’t been difficult with our great coaches.” The level of play at the Junior Varsity level is much more difficult due to the fact that it could be all four grades of players. Indifferently from the girls’ middle school season; a Junior Varsity could be a range from 14-17 years old. Depending on the skill level, that is completely different from playing their own grade level.

This season the girls can expect to do well with their schedule. One of the hardest and most anticipated games coming up will be mid-season on April 20th where Hudson will battle rivals Jackson. As previously mentioned, last year the team fell to Jackson in the Regional final. Overall it is clear that the start to the Girls Lacrosse season at Hudson High School has been exciting for the players. The new freshmen begin their journeys on a positive note and demonstrate the Girls Lacrosse program not only produces good players but a fun, positive atmosphere too.

$150
$500