Senior Article: Saying goodbye to Hudson High

Kacey+has+contributed+to+the+paper+for+two+years+and+was+this+years+Feature+Editor.+
Kacey
Kacey has contributed to the paper for two years and was this year’s Feature Editor.

If four years at Hudson High School has taught me one thing it’s that time really does go by fast. In my freshman year, I couldn’t wait to be a sophomore to get that first year out of the way. As a sophomore, I craved being a junior to be one step closer to finishing high school. Junior year was filled with me counting down the days until I was a senior. Finally, here I am, but as graduation inches closer and closer, I’m realizing that the feeling isn’t as grand as I had dreamed of. I’m stuck wondering where all the time went. As corny as it sounds, part of me wishes to turn back the clock and be that freshman scrambling to get to her classes once more. The other part is ready to let go and move on to the next big thing. 

My feelings change day-to-day. Some are filled with the normal joy of the big senior year while others hold the bittersweet feeling of knowing that I’m running out of time. Either way, I have many thanks to give to Hudson at the end of the day. I’ve learned many lessons, built the best relationships and lived through experiences that have shaped me into the person I am. I’ve grown as an individual and as my leaving date approaches, I’ve reflected on each of my years at Hudson High School. 

Freshman year, August of 2019. I remember sitting in the auditorium for the first time during freshman orientation as we were thrown information about classes, scheduling, guidance, and extracurricular activities. I thought that it was going to be impossible to get my routine down, let alone figure out where anything was. Walking my schedule in with a group, I remember thinking how big the school seemed. I felt so small as the rest of the school filled up the hallways the next day. I tried out for the Hudson Girls soccer team and made some of my closest friends from that program. Together, we navigated through the highs and lows of freshman year. The workload was difficult as it was different from middle school, but it was manageable. This year, however, came to a screeching stop as COVID-19 hit. We had to now rebuild and maintain our relationships while having classes through a computer screen—alone. In retrospect, freshman year was really about building connections and getting used to the business of high school. It was about finding a balance between school and social life. 

Sophomore year, August of 2020. My sophomore year tested friendships for me. It was the first time I realized a great amount of effort was needed on both sides to remain balanced. Underclassman drama is not worth it in my opinion. I struggled with this, as I remember plenty of fights, long paragraphs sent, and periods of distance. Still, I grew. It’s a phase I feel like you have to undergo as an underclassman. My sophomore year started online and then switched to a double block schedule to accommodate half of the student population being in the school at once. Though it ended with everyone in again, with masks, I was just reminded of how friendships only work if you’re meeting each other halfway. With that being said, realize that you do not have to stick to your social cliques. Expand as much as you can! Meet new people! Do not put yourself in a box when it comes to friendships. 

Kacey during her preschool graduation. (Kacey Thomas)

Junior year, August of 2021. This year was fairly normal, with the exception of masks at the beginning of it. Junior year was filled to the brim with studying, tests, scheduling, and questioning the steps you take. It was definitely a struggle as I packed myself with classes so that I could get my credits out of the way. I took difficult classes while trying to figure out what I wanted to do for college. This was the year that I started thinking about life beyond high school. Most people know that junior year is difficult because of the workload and changing relationships. It’s important to put yourself first and take classes you know you’ll enjoy. With this, it’s also very important to start to understand what makes you feel good. In other words, know the ways you like to reset— it’s super important! Don’t drain yourself for other people or for school. Prioritize you. 

Senior year, August of 2022. Graduation year. This year’s priority is to soak everything in. I’ve realized that while school is important, relationships and experiences are what make your high school career. People change; people grow out of each other. Everything that happens is for a reason. Be you for yourself alongside the people you care most about. You won’t remember a missing assignment, but you’ll cherish the late study nights with your best friends while you cram for a test. I’m finding myself clinging onto my friendships, wishing I could hold them forever. As I finish my final AP exams, I’m realizing that I’m actually going to miss dreading a class. It’s crazy. For future seniors— let go of things that hold you back, move forward, and enjoy every moment while it lasts. Don’t stress too much about your future plans, but don’t underplay it either! I got to where I wanted to be and you can too. Find your balance. I’m still best friends with the people I started high school with and I picked up a few more on the way. This school doesn’t look as big as it was in my freshman eyes and I am eager to start anew. I’ve grown a lot through my experiences. With that, I’ve also learned a lot since being a freshman at Hudson and I’m still continuing to learn more even as I’m leaving. I hope you’ll feel this way by the end of your senior year. I hope you realize what matters most to you.

$150
$500