Girls Basketball: The 2022-2023 Season Preview

The+Varsity+Girls+team+poses+for+a+pic+after+a+victory+against+North+Royalton.+
Used with permission/Ken Klemencic
The Varsity Girls team poses for a pic after a victory against North Royalton.

Hudson Girls Basketball is gearing up for the winter season right now, and they hope for another great one. Last year’s team played into the postseason led by a great group of seniors made up by Delaney Digeronimo, Josephine Lawler, Paige Albrecht, Constance Loring, Moira Ackerman, and Ali Menendez. Ali Menendez went on to play at Baldwin Wallace University. The team was disappointed to lose so many great seniors, but they are optimistic about this year. The team is led by Coaches Lawler, Lorenza, and Boesinger. This year’s seniors are Becca Stitzel, Gracie Merrick, Emily Henderson, Aurora Rothgerber, and Emma Hileman. There is a great group of underclassmen who support the team as well. One of the special parts about Hudson Girls basketball is their great chemistry. Every year, this year especially, the team works well together on and off the court. They have a great flow of gameplay and a fast-paced style, which is paired well with the positive attitude. Members of this team are never seen without a smile on their faces around the school and at their various team bonding events, especially at Don Patrons. 

I had a chance to speak with some of the players to gauge their thoughts on the upcoming season. I prepared some questions to learn more about the team and their expectations. First, I asked how the girls feel about the team this year, and how the team is. One senior responded by saying, “I feel really really good about this year’s team. We have great chemistry and we work well together. Our team is full of great players. We have lots of fun on and off the court.”

Next, I asked what fans should be looking out for this year. Senior, Aurora Rothgerber responded by saying, “fans should look out for an absolutely goated team, and we need the student section to be packed, and have a lot of energy.” Aurora has been with the team since her freshman year, and she knows the difference that the fan scan make. She urges everyone to fill out the stands to have a great time, and give the team the energy they need to make a difference. 

Third, I asked the group what they thought was different about this year’s team compared to teams in years past. One player responded and said, “Our attitude is different from last year. We have had great practices together and we are really focused on getting better as a team. For the most part, we want to have fun. You’ll see some dancing on the court and maybe a griddy every once in a while.” The team certainly knows how to have fun, and the seniors who lead by example promote and foster a fun and exciting team.

Next, I asked the group what they were looking forward to the most for this season. Becca Stitzel, a senior, responded by saying “I am looking forward to all the team bonding activities and getting to know each other better. We have a lot of fun as a group, and I of course am also looking forward to winning a lot of games.” 

After that, I asked if the upperclassmen had any advice for some of their younger teammates. A few of the seniors chimed in about their experiences and how you can be a prepared and involved member of the team. “Have as much fun as you can, but make sure to play hard. Everyone contributes on this team whether it’s in practice, games, or in the huddle. Enjoy your time with the team. Tough practices might make the season seem long, but it will be over in the blink of an eye. I’m a senior now and it’s hard to believe that I was a freshman not too long ago.”

The only downside to this team is that they don’t play year round. Students and parents at HHS love to watch the team play. The post players are dominant at scoring and rebounding. Game pace is held very well by players who facilitate. There are some great shooters on the team, and others who excel around the rim. From what I have seen, they play great perimeter and inside defense as well.

One word to describe this team would be optimistic. The team is optimistic about their season and they are all excited for the season together, and the seniors are sure to make it special. Behind great coaching and players, the team is on pace for a great year.

$200
$500