Queer education is needed in Hudson Schools

Studies from The Trevor Project show that more education and tolerance need to be taught within our schools.
Trevor Project

Anti-queer legislation has been on the rise, and it is still rising, even more for anti-transgender bills. There have been 566 bills introduced in the US, 368 are still active and 8 are active in Ohio, according to the Trans Legislation Tracker. I believe that it is fitting that Hudson High School and Hudson Middle School should teach queer history to its students. 

Many queer students have to turn to the internet for sexual education. This is harmful, as there is misinformation and the internet is not as reliable as an educated teacher in the school classroom. According to a study by the National Library of Medicine, out of the 5,656 records of studies that were retrieved, only 24 were queer-friendly—the majority noting that kids were turning to the internet—which means that there needs to be more comprehensive education. 

The same study says that the lack of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer and intersex sex education contributes to the exclusion of queer students. This exclusion leads to worsening mental health for these students. One famous statistic by the Trevor Project is that 41% of queer teenagers seriously considered suicide in 2023. The answer to helping these teens would be to create an affirming place for queer students. Yes, the GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance Club) is great, but what we would like to see is a queer history class—at the least some sprinkled into the regular curriculum. Students who had these spaces reported lower rates of attempting suicide. Also, nearly 60% of youth said that hearing about “potential state or local laws banning people from discussing LGBTQ people at school made their mental health a lot worse,” according to the Trevor Project

Believe it or not, teens still make fun of others for being gay. Homophobia is still alive, though on its deathbed. It’s under different names and different gestures, but it’s still here. Creating a queer history class will advance inclusion and acceptance for queer kids and create understanding for cisgender straight students. An article by Bobbi Bittker states that “[Queer students] reported less victimization based on their sexual orientation in schools that teach an LGBTQ-inclusive academic curriculium”. 

Some people may say that it is up to the parent for the final say. This seems innocuous, but 28% of LGBTQ youth have experienced homelessness and housing instability, and 6% of the 28% have been kicked out by their guardians because of their gender identity according to the Trevor Project. Leaving the life-saving education to the parents can either worsen their mental health and financial health or could lead to much worse. Many parents, though, are supportive. Sometimes it’s not worth the risk. 

The school should implement this into the curriculum because in doing so, it will improve the sense of belonging and health of all students.

$200
$500