Students should be involved in multiple extracurriculars

Ken Klemencic
Members of the Hudson Girls Soccer team celebrate after a successful game.

Extracurricular activities are a place for students to open their minds, take a break after long school days, as well as a place to see friends and even make new ones. Extracurriculars are available to everyone, and Hudson High School offers a handful. Extracurricular activities don’t just add depth to college applications but also add friends. They teach communication skills, expand social circles and develop a sense of community. They direct kids towards certain paths and add guidance for those who need a nudge in the right direction. 

Hudson High School is known for its high-performing athletic program. The sports teams at Hudson uphold this title and continue to succeed through the power of teamwork. Starting out with the basics, sports. It’s where most people’s minds go when someone mentions extracurricular activities. 

But, those who play sports should also be involved in clubs, volunteer or have other interests they participate in. Being involved in multiple extracurriculars, or even two sports or clubs with no overlap, is beneficial for those who need a place to hang out or something to do after school. Working hard at practices and putting time into the sport, even in the off-season, can be a lot to handle. And on top of that, there is schoolwork. But it’s a great learning experience for balancing different kinds of work. This is a lifelong skill that many students should take into account and learn during their teenage years. Time management and balancing work will continue for the rest of everyone’s life, so we might as well get on top of how to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Hudson High School offers over 50 clubs. Clubs are a perfect place to get to know other peers, some of whom aren’t even in your grade. Clubs offer a sense of community. Hudson Community First is a popular club and a perfect place to start to add onto your extracurricular list. Mr. Zustin (the advisor) offers plentiful amounts of volunteer opportunities to earn service hours, and the best part is the club only meets once a month on Wednesday mornings. Another club that offers volunteer work and accounts towards service hours is Key Club. This Kiwanis program is run by English teacher Mrs. VonVille. If you further your interest in languages at HHS, such as Spanish, French, German or ASL, you’re eligible to be a part of that language’s National Honors Society. Music such as band, orchestra and choir also have extracurricular activities, such as Vocal Impact and Jazz Band, that are a fun way to spend time and grow musical intellect. While colleges look for students’ involvement throughout their four years of high school, not all students are involved in multiple extracurricular activities for college purposes. It is a place to be with friends and be social. In extracurricular activities, you can take action by planning events, helping the school with food drives, and supporting sports teams and classes with fundraisers. These skills you learn from clubs will follow you all throughout adulthood and beyond. 

Some may argue that being involved in multiple clubs or sports can lead to feeling overwhelmed or stressed. Even so, students must find a balance between juggling these extracurriculars. Also, students don’t need to participate in a million school activities. It is simply beneficial in the long run to be involved within the school in more ways than one.

$200
$500