The Defense behind the Cleveland Browns

The Browns’ defense goes head-to-head with players from the Buffalo Bills. Cleveland Browns Defense by Erik Drost is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

The Cleveland Browns have the best defense in the NFL. Their defense has been a dominant force this year, greatly responsible for their three and two record. The defense has given the fans hope in the team, which is not a common occurrence for Browns fans. This Defense could be one of the best to ever do it. 

Through five games, the Browns’ Defense has allowed 1,002 yards. This is by far the lowest number of yards allowed in the league this year through a team’s first five games, and it is also the third-lowest number of yards allowed through five games ever. The defense has only allowed 602 passing yards all season, which equates to 120.4 yards per game. The league median for passing yards per game this season is 213.4, therefore, the Browns are allowing nearly half of the league median. 

The defense’s success has been primarily due to the offseason acquisitions made by general manager Andrew Berry. The biggest signing of the offseason was Dalvin Tomlinson, a defensive tackle formerly on the Minnesota Vikings. He has been a huge piece of the Browns’ defense this season, with constant quarterback pressure and he is a disrupting factor in the run game as well. Another big signing was the signing of Ogbo Okoronkwo, who is a major pass-rushing threat. Okoronkwo has 2.5 sacks this year, which is a big help to superstar defensive end Myles Garrett. After John Johnson and Ronnie Harrison left in the offseason, the Browns went out and acquired more depth in the secondary. Starting with Juan Thornhill who has been another good pick up for the Browns defense. Thornhill is an ex-Kansas City Chief and Super Bowl champion. He has 18 tackles and provides the Locker room with an experienced veteran presence. Another defensive back the Browns signed in free agency this past offseason is Rodney Mcleod. He has 16 tackles and has been an integral part of the defense this season. The Browns made a few other smaller signings, such as Shelby Harris and Maurice Hurst, to bolster the interior defensive line. 

The Browns returning players have also made a massive impact on the team. Myles Garret is so far having a career year, through six games he has 22 tackles, 7.5 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles. He is playing at an unheard-of pace. He single-handedly beat the Colts this past week. Another player playing at an all-pro level this season is Grant Delpit. He is a massive playmaker for the defense as he is constantly flying around the field making tackles. He also has one interception and two pass deflections. Yet another player playing at a Pro Bowl level is Denzel Ward. He has reemerged as one of the best cover corners in the NFL. He has six pass deflections, 18 tackles, and one interception. The Browns’ extremely strong secondary play, led by Denzel Ward, Martin Emerson, and Greg Newsome, has given the front eight a chance to rush the quarterback. 

Statistics may be deceiving for this Browns defense. The offense’s sloppy play and turnovers have set up many of the opposing team’s points that the defense has no way of preventing. As an example, the Indianapolis Colts scored 38 points, and a large majority of those points were either fluke big plays, set up by quick three-and-outs by the offense, or terrible turnovers. The Browns’ defense is merely unbeatable when they play aggressively and when they play with confidence. This defense has the best energy that any Browns defense has had in my entire life as a Browns fan. 

While this Browns’ defense is nearly unstoppable, they have work to do before they truly become one of the all-time greatest defenses. Their one major issue is open-field tackling on catch and run receivers. As an example, when playing the 49ers, they allowed a huge play to Brandon Aiyuk on what should have been a fifteen-yard gain. They appeared to have no sense of urgency and allowed him to cut and weave through the defense for an additional 30 yards. Last week against the Colts, Greg Newsome missed a tackle, and Martin Emerson’s poor attempt at a tackle led to a seventy-yard touchdown by Colts star wide receiver Michael Pittman. They also had a miscommunication on an early wheel route to Josh Downs, which led to another long touchdown. As soon as the browns clean some of these things up, they will be truly elite. 

The Jim Schwartz-led Cleveland Browns defense is one of the best in the league and is doing unheard-of things in the NFL this season. They have a few small flaws to touch up, and once they do they will be unstoppable. This year for the Cleveland Browns, although they have poor quarterback play and no Nick Chubb, could be their best chance at finally bringing home a Super Bowl to Cleveland.

$200
$500