Starbucks: Fall collection review

Wikimedia Commons
On August 30, Starbucks unveiled its long-awaited fall menu. The beverage menu includes the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte, the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew and the Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato returned after its debut last fall.

On August 30, Starbucks unveiled its long-awaited fall menu. The beverage menu includes the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte, the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew and the Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato returned after its debut last fall. The food menu has an adorable owl cake pop, a pumpkin cream cheese muffin and select stores have pumpkin and pepita loaf. I tested every item to assist your ordering. 

Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato:  Starting off with the worst drink on the menu, it was released in 2021 and I am shocked it made a return. It is blonde espresso with oat milk, apple brown sugar syrup, and warm spices. It sounds incredibly appealing, however, it is foul and it’s absurd that there are people who order this and enjoy it. Considering how tragically awful this drink was, I’m not sure how overproduction in comparison to sales hasn’t put Starbucks out of business. It tastes like and has the consistency of dirty water from last year’s apple bobbing contest. Out of all the fall options, do not get this. 

Pumpkin Spice Latte:  In third place, we have the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte, which came out in 2003 and jump started the craze over fall-flavored drinks. It is espresso with steamed milk with real pumpkin and various other seasonings, topped with whipped cream. Truthfully, a Pumpkin Spice Latte captures the taste of all things fall into one beverage. It has pumpkin, it has cinnamon and it has nutmeg, which is the perfect combination of fall flavoring.  It is very smooth and creamy, however, it is tremendously sweet. Which for many is perfect, but that is the major flaw of the drink for me. A hot Pumpkin Spice Latte is perfect for those super chilly late-fall days. However, they also offer an iced Pumpkin Spice Latte, which is just as good. For those who prefer bitter coffees, I suggest the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew. 

Iced Pumpkin Chai:  This is technically not a part of the fall menu this year, however, with a few simple modifications to the regular iced chai, this is a pretty good option and comes in at second place. Personally, I would probably order this over the Pumpkin Spice Latte, but never over the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew. 

Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew:  First place goes to the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is a regular cold brew coffee topped off with pumpkin cream cold foam and two pumps of vanilla syrup. This is the ideal option on the fall menu for those who prefer a more bitter coffee. Since its release in 2019, this drink has been the backbone of my fall. It is so insanely good. The grande Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew only has 31g of sugar while the grande Pumpkin Spice Latte has 50g. This drink is the easiest one on the fall menu to modify and make slightly healthier as well. It has the perfect balance of creamy fall pumpkin flavor mixed with a classic cold brew taste. Also, the cold foam is orange, which is a nice touch. Like the Pumpkin Spice Latte, this is made with real pumpkin and no artificial coloring as well. 

Owl Cake Pop:  This cake pop is vanilla cake and buttercream dipped in purple chocolate icing, pretty simple. Not bad, however, just nothing special. Not worth the time or money compared to other options. 

Pumpkin Scone:  Similar to the owl cake pop, it is pretty good, but I would recommend other items over this. 

Pumpkin & Pepita loaf:  This is just a basic pumpkin loaf with pumpkin seeds (pepitas) on it. Still would recommend as a runner-up to the best fall pastry. 

Pumpkin & Cream Cheese Muffin:  This muffin is a spiced pumpkin muffin with a sweet cream cheese filling in the center and it is the best pastry Starbucks has ever released. It tastes like pumpkin bread with the cream cheese swirls, but better and in muffin form. If you plan on trying any of the fall pastries, the pumpkin and cream cheese muffin is the way to go. 

$150
$500