The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

Home Alone: A Phenomenal classic

PicFlix
Kevin McCallister, the main character of the outstanding movie. The memorable character makes the film an enjoyable classic.

If you are seeking an enjoyable classic Christmas movie, look no further, “Home Alone” is the one for you! Directed by Chris Columbus, the movie was released on Nov. 16 1990, and instantly became a huge hit! Starring Macaulay Culkin as the well-known main character, the movie follows a humorous plot and is an immensely enjoyable watch! 

This world-wide hit brought in a worldwide profit upwards of 476 million dollars. In which undoubtedly exceeded the production cost of 18 million dollars. This astounding success shined light on the producer behind the outstanding movie, John Hughes. With this much attention this movie is still a talk of today during the holidays! 

While walking the halls of HHS with fellow reporter/journalist, Molly Mclnerney, we surveyed students here at HHS regarding their favorite holiday movie. We discovered that a significant amount of students have a love for the well-renowned film, “Home Alone”. 11 out of the 43 votes were towards this incredible movie. With remaining votes scattered between the movie, “Elf”, and additional holiday movies. 

Centered around an 8-year old boy, Kevin McCallister, and his extensive family, the movie follows the McCallisters holiday plans as it turns into a Christmas nightmare for the whole family. When Kevin mistakenly gets left alone, panic arises among the family traveling to France, while Kevins’ at home navigating the next few days on his own and trying to defend his home and self against potential robbers. 

The unique family comedy begins with a dive into Kevin’s role in the enormous family. The point shared is how he is overlooked by everyone else in the family, Columbus carefully directed an eye-opening scene for the viewer in order to capture the hatred toward 8-year old Kevin. The scene demonstrates a cause and effect from one action of Kevin , then is followed with the scene closing with every family member glancing Kevin’s way. This one scene is a ripple into the ironic plot and how the family disregards young Kevin. 

The development of the main character, Kevin, also contributes to the incredible film. From starting as a young boy depending on his family who overlooks him to flourishing into an independent, intelligent, and respected character. Along Kevin’s journey, irony presents itself as he is able to deceive potential robbers yet earlier in the story he struggled on the simple task of packing a bag. This development allows the movie to shine light on how one simple incident can transform a young boy like Kevin. 

The cleverly crafted classic also incorporates a well-needed developing friendship that presents a heart-warming scene. The friendship flourished between Kevin and his older neighbor, in which Kevin’s older brother had warned Kevin about previously in the movie. The scene in which this friendship is starting to grow is located in their local church where the older neighbor confesses about his family complications to Kevin in which Kevin heavily relates to. This friendship was an unexpected and well portrayed aspect which made the movie incredible!

One of the most notable details exempted throughout the movie is its continuous humor. From the very start to the last remark at the end of the movie, you will be laughing! One of the most prominent and humorous features is the irony behind Kevin being left alone since he had regretfully wished for his family to disappear the night before the incident. Even through the dialect, humor can be found. The humor presented in the movie makes it an enjoyable and family-friendly watch!

Another immensely amusing part of the film is how Kevin’s journey involves several attempted robberies, in which forces upon Kevin the responsibility of protecting his own home. This is such an enjoyable aspect due to Kevin being so young and the robbers being immensely older, however Kevin is a crafty, intelligent, and deceiving plan maker who tries to out-smart them. The robberies also force the previously mentioned friendship to strengthen as the neighbor has an active role in helping Kevin. The storyline behind these robberies and Kevin’s well-thought out responses makes the movie even more engaging!

The movie includes themes regarding friendships as well as family, which differs from your typical romance holiday movies. Holiday movies typically bring romance along with its storyline and most of the time disregards the fun and joyful moments of the holidays. This movie was perfectly crafted as a balance between humor and family. The movie is unlike any other Christmas movie and is one of the most entertaining holiday movies out there!

Although the movie is incredible in several ways one minor detail that would have been nice to be incorporated is more scenes portraying and showing the McCallisters and their journey in the few days they spent in France. This would add more contrast between what Kevin was experiencing to what the family was on their vacation. However, one step that was towards that contrast was demonstrated through the mother of Kevin and her journey towards getting home after her realization of forgetting her son. This journey was extremely exhausting and lengthy for the mother whilst Kevin was at home creating devious plans to deceive potential robbers. 

Even through the small and intricate thought behind the setting, a neighborhood in Chicago, which gives a more realistic feel to this amazing movie! From the snow to the decorations within the McCallisters home, it gives the viewer that perfect joyful holiday feel!

This movie is well worth your while! From the memorable characters to the humorous plot, the film is skillfully presented and is deserving of its reputation. This incredible classic is followed by a just as renowned sequel. This movie is perfect to watch during the holidays alongside its sequel! 

$200
$500