Interview with new Computer Science teacher, Ms. Valenti

Ms.+Valenti+and+her+family+share+a+smile+
Katherine Valenti
Ms. Valenti and her family share a smile

How did you get into teaching, and what inspired you to start teaching?
Education is highly regarded in my family, as my mom is a second-grade teacher, and my younger sister, Megan, is a high school History teacher. I always liked to play school with my sisters growing up, giving them extra worksheets from my school classes and writing on the chalkboard we had in our basement. My goal was always to teach English since I love to read and had a dream to write my own novels one day. I chose the high school level as my focus, thanks to my Italian teacher, who always listened to my problems and let me sit in on her AP Italian class during my lunch. I loved the relationships she built with her students and wanted to do the same.

Have you always taught high school level students, or have you taught other grades, too?
Professionally, I have always taught high school students. However, I have long-term subbed and student-taught middle school students as well. I’m also kind of a mixed bag when it comes to subjects, too! My original degree was in English, but I have only ever student-taught or long-term subbed in that subject. Throughout my six years in the teaching profession, I have only taught Technology and Computer Science.

What is the most important thing you teach your students that strays from the syllabus?
It’s okay to make mistakes! Believe me, it can be hard to teach because no one wants to make a mistake. But when it comes to coding, you are making mistakes all the time. You have to come to terms with the fact that you aren’t going to get the program to work on the first try. What’s more important is that you learn from those mistakes and keep trying out solutions until you solve the problem. This is why students in all of my classes are able to resubmit assignments for full credit anytime within the quarter. It’s more important that my students learn from their mistakes rather than be penalized for making them.

Do you have any interests or hobbies you are involved with outside of school?
I love to read and have been making more effort to do so. I’m a part of three book clubs and always have a physical book and audiobook at all times. I have a 40-minute commute from Mentor every day, so I have really been knocking books out on the drive. Additionally, I like to play video games, do yoga and hang out with my family and friends. I also run a food Instagram account because I love trying new restaurants. My phone always eats first!

What made you decide to teach computer science?
Well…this is a funny story. I never really chose it. My degree is in 7-12 English Education, but I was having a hard time getting a full-time job, so I went back to school at Cleveland State and got my Technology Endorsement. From there, I got hired at Wickliffe High School as a Technology Teacher, where I taught Video Game Design, Web Design, and Photoshop. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, as I was not formally trained in any of those areas, but I got the job and taught myself. From there, the district asked if I wanted to get training to teach AP Computer Science courses, and I jumped right in.

I finally got my Computer Science Endorsement in April, but I was technically self-taught for five years. The whole experience was great because I can completely relate to my students, who may be coming into my class with no idea how to code. I’ve been there, I’ve taught myself and I know the mistakes they will likely make along the way. Plus, I think it makes my students more comfortable to know that if I can do it, they can do it, too. I sometimes get asked if I would ever go back and teach English; honestly, I don’t know that I would ever want to give up Computer Science! I love the creativity that comes with it, and I enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting and trying different solutions. It’s like a puzzle.

Give a piece of advice that you think students should know.
Everything always works out. It is hard to believe this at the moment sometimes, but even when things seem like they are falling apart, there is always something better on the horizon waiting for you. When I thought I would never get a teaching job, I got one at Wickliffe. When I was hesitant about teaching Technology classes instead of English ones, I ended up liking technology more. When I was ready to make a change and didn’t know what direction to go in my career, the position here at Hudson opened up. Just keep on doing what you’re supposed to do, and it will all work out.

$200
$500