Taking the final step: Trey Sharp’s story of football and overcoming challenges

Trey Sharp describes his mom as his “best friend in life, someone I could tell anything to.” This photo was taken when Sharp was around two years old. Used with permission/Trey Sharp.

One more step. Senior wide receiver Trey Sharp lines up on the line of scrimmage with four minutes to go in the game, Hudson down 17 – 21. A touchdown would give Hudson all the momentum they need to seal the game. The ball snaps and floats in the air for what seems like forever. The ball falls into the hands of Sharp as he takes the ball untouched into the end zone. The crowd erupts in cheers, the band blasts the school fight song —the sound echoing off the stadium bleachers and the town. Touchdown Hudson; they had survived against Warren G. Harding High School in the playoffs and could advance to the semi-finals.

For the city of Hudson, it was an exciting moment and a moment of celebration. For Trey Sharp, however, it was something more than that; it was proof that he could overcome his adversities, and more importantly, showcase to the world what one person can be capable of, regardless of where they start.

Trey Sharp is a senior at Hudson High School. He plays both offensive and defensive snaps on the football team, a wide receiver and cornerback respectively. According to MaxPreps, Sharp recorded a staggering thirty one receptions with over f400 passing yards and three touchdowns with 11 games played on offense this season, while simultaneously recording two interceptions on defense.

Hudson went 9-3 throughout the season and made it all the way to the semi-finals of the Suburban-National league, losing to Walsh Jesuit High School 35-14.

But these accomplishments came with challenges. “We lost five starters,” says Sharp. Early on the season, Hudson had an injury-riddled series of games, which challenged their depth in positional players and forced players to think optimistically.

“In the game, I get into that mode [of leadership], and I turn into a great leader,” Sharp states. “I need to be a leader.”

Instead of letting these struggles affect Sharp in a negative manner, they instead made him mentally stronger and more mature; he was forced into a situation where he needed to be a leader on the team. Sharp elaborates, “I used to be a headcase freshman, sophomore, and junior.” These hardships throughout the season helped Sharp find maturity both with sportsmanship and his overall character. 

But this wasn’t the only challenge Sharp faced in high school. On November 17th in 2020,  Rose M. Sharp —mother of Trey Sharp— tragically passed away at the age of 58.

“My mom was my best friend in life, someone I could tell anything to. She would always be at my football games and never missed a game. She was the light of my life. I will remember that for the rest of my life,” states Sharp, who was going through an extremely hard time with both the Covid-19 in full effect and the loss of his mother.

“She was always telling me, ‘[you] can do this,’” replies Sharp, “even when I thought I couldn’t.” She even influenced Sharp to start a musical career, where he has released one mixtape so far on Soundcloud, titled “100 ON MY NECK” —garnering just under nine hundred listens. “I’ve always liked music. As a family, we would always do ‘acting stuff’ in the living room; put on special clothes, and be with the family,” recalls Sharp. “It was something almost too special.”

Trey Sharp goes into the end zone to regain the lead, ultimately winning the game against Warren G. Harding with a score of 24 – 21. Sharp had four receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown, which would prove to be one of the most memorable moments of his high school football career. Used with permission/Ken Klemencic.

For Sharp, he was able to handle these hardships by leaning on the friends he had made through football. “Football was like a getaway for me. I started training really hard. I was getting better grades in school. When I was occupied, I could stop thinking about the bad times, I would think about the good times.”

One of the closest friends that he made in high school was Hudson High School graduate of 2023, Gio DePompei. “He was my best friend. Gio was there for me when my mom passed away; he understands, he’s a great guy.” Sharp was able to get the help and support system he needed by utilizing the genuine connections he had created from football. 

Although it has been more than three years since the passing of Sharp’s mother, he says he has learned a remarkable lesson from the struggles he faced and found something even more important in it. Aside from his friends, he also mentions, “Finding God. Sticking with the plan He has for me. You just have to believe, you know?”

With all of the hardships Sharp faced throughout his life, he hopes to inspire others in a similar situation to where he was and help them overcome their problems and struggles.

“Nothing’s too far away. It’s always a step away. Even if you don’t think it’s a step away, once you start leading in the right direction, you’re gonna want to keep going in that step everyday,” says Sharp. “Day in and day out. You gain more with every little step you take. Once you add all those little steps up, it becomes one big step, and you’re right there.”

So what’s stopping you from taking that step? Believe in yourself, believe in what you stand for, and go for it. Take that step, just like Trey.

$200
$500