Ms. Meyer: Teacher and friend

Ms.+Meyer+preparing+for+class+before+school+starts.+She+always+enjoys+putting+in+the+extra+effort+to+make+sure+her+students+have+a+meaningful+class.+
Emma
Ms. Meyer preparing for class before school starts. She always enjoys putting in the extra effort to make sure her students have a meaningful class.

If there is one person who wears funky dresses and has a big smile on her face, it’s Ms. Meyer. Meyer, a teacher in the social studies department, is a student favorite with her fun personality and carefree nature. Many students are seen roaming around in her room, chatting with her in the hallways and creating memorable times with her during class and occasionally on school field trips as she chaperones. 

Meyer has been working here in Hudson School District teaching since 2018, starting her first two years of teaching at Hudson Middle School and three years at Hudson High School. She teaches subjects such as American History, World History and Criminology. “I’m biased,” she says, “but I think social studies is the most interesting subject matter just because it spans so many different things.” 

Although she loves teaching all of these subjects, she adores teaching her favorite class, Criminology. Meyer says, “I have to say Criminology because it aligns with my own personal interests a lot more.” 

Meyer graduated from Revere High School and then continued her education at Kent State University to get her undergraduate degree in political science and her graduate degree in education. 

Ever since she was a little girl,  Meyer knew she always wanted to be a teacher. “Being a teacher was always something I wanted to do,” she states. She loves being a teacher and helping her students learn and create new connections. “I love to learn, and I  get to learn every single day and I get to teach people and watch them learn,” she says. 

She wants her students to feel comfortable and to know that they always have her support whenever they’re in need of it. “The best part of my job”, she says, “is my students. And I love to get to know them.”

Once Meyer steps out of the doors of Hudson High School, she occupies her time with some of her favorite hobbies. Being outdoors is rejuvenating and relaxing, with tones of vitamin D shining down on her and the sounds of birds chirping in the distance. She loves to go on long nature hikes and she was even proposed to in the beautiful nature of the European winter during her long winter break. 

Ms. Meyer taking a break in front of a waterfall after hiking for several hours. She enjoys hiking and being in nature. (Lillian Meyer)

In the meantime, she trains hard to run in half or full marathons. “I ran a marathon last year,” she says. “I was supposed to do a marathon this fall, but I didn’t train all that much this summer.”

Indoors, she enjoys making plant based meals in the kitchen. Like many already know, Meyer does not consume meat and is an avid vegetarian. She says she wants to cook “as plant based as I can make it.” One of her favorite cook books is called I Can Cook Vegan which is filled with tons of vegan recipes that she adores and finds delicious. 

Speaking of books, she is an avid reader and, if the occasion calls for it, she listens to music such as instrumental playing while she enjoys her alone time. She does say, “I don’t really like pop music all that much, not mainstream with the exception of Taylor Swift.” She also enjoys indie rock bands and global music. “Spotify has the discover weekly feature,” she comments. “And I really like to listen to that.” 

Meyer runs the Mock Trial club here in Hudson. Mock Trial is a club where you can play court and learn about law and how an attorney prepares for a case and at the end of the year, they club members get to perform in a competition. “I really wanted to give (the mock trial experience) to the students here,” she states. “The goal is for kids to have an understanding of how court functions.” 

Her life here in Hudson is something she never takes for granted. She loves her students and wants to continue teaching and building relationships for the years to come whether it’s through a shared love of music, nature, food, or club activities. She tries her best to be a part of all of her students’ lives and make every moment spent with them count. 

$200
$500