The Student News Site of Hudson High School

The Explorer

The Explorer

The Explorer

Hudson Scholarships for Seniors

From the Hudson Public School Endowment Fund
The logo for the Hudson Public Schools Endowment Fund. Used with permission/Jennifer Fisher.

Information from the Guidance Office and information gathered from Lily Stevens.

The Hudson Public School Endowment Fund was established in 1990 by Donald Barlow to assist Hudson High School seniors pursuing higher education. Today, the fund has 21 different scholarships with multiple funds and additional memorials. From its founding, this generous and forward-thinking gift has created a meaningful legacy. Over $208,000 was awarded to 83 members of the Hudson High School Class of 2023. Over the last 6 years, over $ 1 million has been given to graduating seniors.

A common misconception is that only a few seniors qualify for or earn these scholarship awards. In reality, anyone can apply and money is awarded to a wide range of applicants. Your time preparing a well-written essay is the most important ingredient. Each scholarship comes with a few requirements and students are encouraged to apply for as many as they qualify for. You have been sharpening your essay-writing skills as you prepare college applications. It is worth it to put these to good use. The applications typically require the submission of basic information and an essay less than two pages long.

The Hudson Public Endowment Fund will be offering a portfolio of scholarships you can learn more about how January through Schoolinks. Due March 14, 2024, applications are read by community reviewers and scholarships are presented at the Senior Awards Ceremony on May 20. A short sampling of scholarships being offered include:

• Emily and Donald Barlow Scholarship for well-rounded students.
  • Kenneth Blower Memorial Scholarship for science majors.
  • Harry D. Bubb Prize for students who grew academically between freshmen and senior years.
  • Hajarian Family Scholarship for students who have overcome obstacles.
  • Hudson Bicentennial Scholarship for students with exemplary community service.
  • Hudson Fire Department Association Scholarship for students going into public safety. The Hudson Fire Dept. Association Scholarship is awarded to dependents of an active member of the
  • Hudson Fire Department who have demonstrated academic performance, community service and strong leadership qualities.
  • Ray Hyser Scholarship for students who are Ray Hyser Award winners.
  • Pauline Klupinski Memorial Scholarship for students who have had individualized education plans.
  • Ronald McGrainor Memorial Scholarship for engineering majors.

Some of the other scholarships available in more detail:

• The Margaret McGrainor Art Scholarship is given to a Hudson High School senior who has a GPA of 3.0 or higher, completed at least three years of Art and plans to attend college and major in Art.
  • The Arthur Caniglia Scholarship was established to honor Mr. Caniglia who taught industrial arts and was an assistant football coach at Hudson.
  • The Burton D. Morgan Foundation Scholarship is awarded to a student who has demonstrated leadership ability and personal goals of perpetuating and nurturing the entrepreneurial spirit.
  • The Helen Barlow Fine Arts Scholarship is awarded to a senior who has pursued the study of art throughout high school and plans to continue this pursuit in his or her higher education.
  • The Les Dingledine Memorial Scholarship is awarded to both a varsity baseball and softball player who have demonstrated strong individual performance as well as exceptional team contribution and leadership.
  • The June Young Pak Memorial Scholarship honors the life of June Young Pak, a 2003 Hudson High School graduate who passed away in 2003 while trying to rescue a neighbor during a flash flood. This scholarship is awarded to members of the Hudson High School lacrosse team who have demonstrated exceptional team spirit and support by serving as a loving neighbor.
  • The Harry D. Bubb Prize is given to a senior who has demonstrated academic growth, with a GPA no less than 3.5 and will pursue a four-year college degree in the STEM field.
  • The Dante & Joy Lavelli Football Academic Scholarship is awarded to a senior who has attained a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and exhibited leadership as a member of the Hudson High School football team.
  • The Hajarian Family Scholarship is awarded to a senior who has demonstrated the desire and perseverance to overcome obstacles to achieve higher education.
  • The Scott Case Memorial Fund Scholarship is awarded to one male and one female member of the Hudson High School tennis team chosen by the coaches who best demonstrate skill, sportsmanship and citizenship.
  • The Donald and Emily Barlow Scholarship was established by Donald Barlow, a Hudson farmer, property owner, school bus driver, and ultimately a generous philanthropist who wanted to help many Hudson Seniors pursuing higher education. This Scholarship is awarded to Hudson High School Seniors who have demonstrated academic ability, leadership and high moral standards. In 2023 the scholarship committee recommended 76 students to receive Donald and Emily Barlow Legacy, Heritage and Investment and Community scholarships.

This list can be life-changing for many students pursuing all kinds of different career paths. On behalf of the Hudson Public Schools Endowment Fund, it is encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity and apply for the plethora of scholarships that are offered.

$150
$500